VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated Disability

Rate this question

lynnia99

Question

Rated Disabilities

DisabilityRatingDecisionRelated ToEffective Date

sinus condition    Not Service Connected

tinnitus (claimed as ringing in ears)Not Service Connected

unspecified depressive disorder with anxious distress (claimed as posttraumatic stress disorder due to military sexual trauma)    30%Not Service Connected

PTSD - Personal Trauma

uterine fibroids, dyspareunia with heavy periods dysmenorrhea (claimed as abdominal pain, cysts on uterus with heavy menstrual     )Not Service Connected

low back painNot Service Connected

I'm not understanding this.  Will they award me 30 for sexual trauma? It was denied first and I appealed it, and a month later this was on here.  Can someone clarify please. I highlighted the information I'm directly speaking about.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Well, I am a little confused as well. I have never heard of an appeal going through in just one month. An appeal usually takes two or more years. Are you sure the 30% for depressive disorder wasn't there on the original decision? Nevertheless, the answer is no. The VA is acknowledging that you have "unspecified depressive disorder", but they are saying it is not related to your military service. 

There are a host of reasons for this, but I think the greater concern is that the VA is not acknowledging the sexual trauma. There are several ways to prove sexual trauma and while the following is not a complete list it will give you a place to start.

By any chance do you have a police report, or can you obtain one? It would be very helpful. Without a police report, which it is thoroughly understandable if you do not have one, you could present evidence of medical problems that resulted from the trauma. You could also use service personnel records that indicate a change in behaviors following the abuse. For example, perhaps you were a model service person and then there was an abrupt change in attendance, moodiness, being withdrawn, or disciplinary events. You could also use a "buddy statement" from someone who knew you at the time and that you confided in about the abuse. 

One last point, Veteran Service Organizations (VSO) like the American Legion and VFW are not particularly necessary when filing a claim with the VA, but if you are appealing a decision then I suggest finding a good VSO in your area.

I'm just trying to figure out are they awarding me 30%.  And since they are saying its not service connected are they still awarding me?  I'm just all around confused.And it wasn't there on my original decision, because wouldn't they have given me the money? Still confused.  

check Ebenefits.  If you were awarded 30% it will show up in the disabilities section.  Also go to the letters section and look at your AB8 letter.  Should say there also.