• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

143%
    $2,153.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Agent Orange & Prostate Cancer - How is back pay calculated?

Question

Hi all,

I have two questions:

A) I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in early February 2016, filed a claim with the VA on February 16, 2016 and received the VA's 5/17/2016 notice of Original Award of 100% disability rating due to Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam (1968-1969). I've done quite a bit of research (including here on hadit.com) trying to understand the VA's back pay provisions to make sure I'm being properly compensated but most of what I've found seems to be a lot more complicated than what I think is my pretty simple issue. The VA's letter itself is a little confusing to me - excerpts follow:

• "Effective Date: 2/16/2016"

• "Payment Start Date: 3/1/2016"

• "Generally, payments begin the first day of the month following the effective date. When applicable, a retroactive payment, minus any withholdings, will be issued. Thereafter, payment will be made at the beginning of each month for the prior month. For example, benefits due for May are paid on or about June 1." 

I received payment for 2 months retroactive around 5/17/2016 and payment on June 1 (for May 2016). But it seems to me that if my "Payment Start Date" was 3/1/2016 (presumably for February), I should have had 3 months of retroactive pay (not 2), for 3/1, 4/1 & 5/1 before normal monthly payments began on June 1.  Am I correct here or am I misunderstanding something?

B) Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I came across the following information from the " §3.114  Change of law or Department of Veterans Affairs issue", (a) Effective date of award that provides: " (3) If a claim is reviewed at the request of the claimant more than 1 year after the effective date of the law or VA issue, benefits may be authorized for a period of 1 year prior to the date of receipt of such request.  (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1805, 1815, 1821, 1832, 5110(g))" (this info was found at http://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/docs/regs/38cfr/bookb/part3/s3_114.doc which I was referred to from this link: http://www.veteranprograms.com/id1757.html ("Section 4. Other Claims").  Since I filed the claim more than a year after the effective date that the law recognizes prostate cancer as presumptive under the VA's Disability rules, should my retroactive pay be for 1 year prior to the 2/16/2016 date of my claim?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide - you all are providing a great service!

Jeff Smith

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
On 6/3/2016 at 4:43 PM, Jeffrey Smith said:

Hi all,

I have two questions:

A) I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in early February 2016, filed a claim with the VA on February 16, 2016 and received the VA's 5/17/2016 notice of Original Award of 100% disability rating due to Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam (1968-1969). I've done quite a bit of research (including here on hadit.com) trying to understand the VA's back pay provisions to make sure I'm being properly compensated but most of what I've found seems to be a lot more complicated than what I think is my pretty simple issue. The VA's letter itself is a little confusing to me - excerpts follow:

• "Effective Date: 2/16/2016"

• "Payment Start Date: 3/1/2016"

• "Generally, payments begin the first day of the month following the effective date. When applicable, a retroactive payment, minus any withholdings, will be issued. Thereafter, payment will be made at the beginning of each month for the prior month. For example, benefits due for May are paid on or about June 1." 

I received payment for 2 months retroactive around 5/17/2016 and payment on June 1 (for May 2016). But it seems to me that if my "Payment Start Date" was 3/1/2016 (presumably for February), I should have had 3 months of retroactive pay (not 2), for 3/1, 4/1 & 5/1 before normal monthly payments began on June 1.  Am I correct here or am I misunderstanding something?

B) Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I came across the following information from the " §3.114  Change of law or Department of Veterans Affairs issue", (a) Effective date of award that provides: " (3) If a claim is reviewed at the request of the claimant more than 1 year after the effective date of the law or VA issue, benefits may be authorized for a period of 1 year prior to the date of receipt of such request.  (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1805, 1815, 1821, 1832, 5110(g))" (this info was found at http://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/docs/regs/38cfr/bookb/part3/s3_114.doc which I was referred to from this link: http://www.veteranprograms.com/id1757.html ("Section 4. Other Claims").  Since I filed the claim more than a year after the effective date that the law recognizes prostate cancer as presumptive under the VA's Disability rules, should my retroactive pay be for 1 year prior to the 2/16/2016 date of my claim?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide - you all are providing a great service!

Jeff Smith

"benefits may be authorized ", not will be authorized!   It's kinda like 54/40 or fight!

Ok, since I don't seem to be getting definitive answers to the questions I have posed, let me try asking the 2nd question differently.

VA regulation § 3.114(a) provides (in part):

(3)   If a claim is reviewed at the request of the claimant more than 1 year after the effective date of the law or VA issue, benefits may be authorized for a period of 1 year prior to the date of receipt of such request."

Since I filed my claim on 2/16/2016 (well more than a year after the 1996 VA law that recognized Prostate Cancer has a presumptive association with Agent Orange), it seems that my retroactive pay should be for 1 year prior to the 2/16/2016 date of my claim.  Berta has copied and pasted VA case law that she says supports her conclusion that the answer to this is "No".  However, I can't find the answer in what she posts as to why my claim isn't qualified, and she seems unwilling to be more specific.

Chuck75 - responded that: "benefits may be authorized ", not will be authorized!   It's kinda like 54/40 or fight! " Chuck, I take your point, but I am trying to find out what makes a claim such as mine fall in the authorized 1 year retro, or alternatively, what makes it unauthorized for same.

So, again, can anyone tell me the answer to that question here?

Also, I haven't had a definitive answer to my 1st question as to whether I was shorted a month in the initial retro payment.

I know I can pursue this by filing appeals with the VA but I don't want to waste my time or theirs if it's not justified. I'm pretty sure that I am not the first one to confront these issues so I was hoping to get guidance from those who have been down this road before and could provide links to governing laws.  I'm not trying to get retro pay I'm not entitled to, but I don't want to leave money on the table either.

Thanks for any assistance.

• Admin
On 6/18/2016 at 11:09 PM, Judy said:

Tbird, I see the link here for the Historical Compensation Rates (of) 1974-2004. Can you tell me where to find the rates from 1970 - 1974?

( Dr. Bash and I firmly believe we have won my CUE; waiting for decision of course) and I would like to find those old compensation rates. Thanks, Judy

Judy I could not find them either. Sorry.

• HadIt.com Elder

The  Agent Orange law is explained like this. Say you filed for prostate cancer under any theory (direct or presumptive) back in 1999 and were denied, the date is still preserved for you. I got a guy SC for DM2 after a prolonged fight in 2010. He'd filed for it in 2002 and was denied because he couldn't prove boots on the ground. Once he won on the presumptive, they granted it back a YEAR before he filed for it-i.e. 2001. If you just filed for it in 2016, that is the effective date but if you'd filed for it earlier, you would get that date even if it was before the disease was added to the list. 

This creates a problem. Should we all shotgun file for Parkinson's and lose but wait to come down with it? Or all the other diseases for that matter. It would guarantee an EED for any you develop afterwards.