VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reduction in Work Due to Dr's Recommendation

Rate this topic

seejeremy

Good evening everyone.  My psych doctor has recommended that I go from a full time status at my job to a part time status.  This is due to my inability to handle the stress and people aspects of the job for long periods of time.  She has suggested that I use FMLA as it allows for a reduction in hours due to medical conditions for up to 90 days. At that time, if my job doesn't allow me to transition to a part time job, I will be looking for something that does allow it.  

My questions are about how this will affect my rating with the VA.  I am 100% (not P&T), which includes 70% for MDD, 50% SA, 40% for sciatica, 30% for throat scar, 20% sciatica and a few 10s that I am forgetting.  

If I remember right, the 70% for MDD was the only disability that mentioned a future exam.  So, if I follow through and go part time, will this help my rating become permanent.  I know that a rater will have to look at it again, but since I am losing income due to my inability to cope with external stressors, do you think that would help move me to a P&T status?  If so, should I file for P&T status when I go part time?  Will the FMLA paperwork prepared by a VA psych doctor help me?

I'm sure I will think of other questions and I thank you all for your input.

It very well could, especially since its documented. I was an IT project manager at 70% for a year and a half before I finally had to take FMLA from my job. I had STD coverage that my employer had paid for , though, and LTD coverage that I paid for. I ended up not going back. When I applied for FMLA I filed a claim for increase consideration, and continued seeing my psychiatrist and psychologist.. I ended up IU, then P & T in the same rating decision (IU for the period they adjudicated the claim at 70%, then P and T from the award date. It was weird. So, I spend a lot of time watching my niece, reading, catching up on Netflix, and practicing sketching and photos. Im taking a photo class for no credit, just trying to keep busy. The stress of reduced and no income does not help, but look into your employer benefits and see if you might not have short term disability coverage already in there- you might, and that will help take some of the stress off. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

We do have STD at work, but since the doc and my wife think part time work will be ok, I don't think I would need STD.  I agree about the stress of reduced income because I feel horrible that my wife is the big bread-winner while I'm the guy that can't handle a full time job.  When I start FMLA and begin a permanent part-time basis, will that do anything to my 70%, other than maybe making it P&T?  Would it increase the percentage?  Because I'm worried about lost income, I'm just trying to figure out if SMC S would be an option?  Or does SSDI do anything for reduced income or would I need to be totally unemployed?

Thank you all for the help!  This is always my first stop when I need real answers.

SSDI is all or nothing. FMLA will work as evidence towards a possible increase but its not a given since its a 'short term' action. Your treatments notes will do more for a possible increase. Still, if you are going to file you may as well file for an increase now to preserve your effective date rather than waiting. You can submit evidence after the claim has been sent up to  and including your C&P appointment (though the C&P doctor may or may not have time to look at it right then). 

Hi everyone.  I was wondering if anyone else has an opinion on whether or not I should go ahead and file for an increase.  While I greatly appreciate brokensoldiers' responses (seriously, thank you) I am really worried about the VA jacking with my 70% MDD rating and decreasing it.  I had an appointment with my VA doc on Wednesday and I was a complete wreck for most of it.  She has asked me to consider quitting and volunteering somewhere or to see about finding a part time job that is low-stress.  

If this matters, she is waiting to do the FMLA paperwork until mid-July so that I can earn some money to do some repairs on the house before I have a reduction in income.  Continuing to work has been extremely tough, and I find that I am an irritable jerk sometimes for no reason at all.  

I appreciate any additional input and/or guidance you all have to offer.  This place kept me sane during my initial claims process and continues to help me now.

• HadIt.com Elder

I can't add much as to what brokensoldier has mention.

if oyur 70% sc disability keeps you from working or doing any kind of work part/time or full &  sedentary work is out.

what you may want to think about is checking in with VA Voc--Rehab  and see what there evaluation is on your work status.

if they find you unemployable because of your S.C. Disability and writes you a letter  something like this ''veteran is considered    unfeasible to retrain at this time!''

with that and your medical records from VA  AND Private along with SSDI.

This just my opinion  you should apply for TDIU P&T, If you have spouse as your dependent  its around 3.100.00 month or close to it   and if you meet the criteria for SMC-S1  its 347.00 bucks more  not a bad income  but most of us think its not enough.

if you been making a lot more it maybe hard for you because even this rate is not   National average income..but it has sure helped out my family.

....Buck

Edited by Buck52

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use