VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

I was looking over the carpal tunnel related threads but didn't see one that came close enough to satisfy my question.  I injured my L wrist during MVA in the middle of my enlistment.  And I spent boo coo hours sitting in front of a sewing machine, cranking the wheel with my R hand, which was a big part of my MOS.

I was recently DXd by the VA with carpal tunnel on both sides.  Is this enough for a solid claim? 

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I would think so Andyman

As long as you can get medical records  or a Dr statement  its likey as not this veterans carpal tunnel is caused by his prior military service. ect,,,ect,,

Anything that can link it to your military service  MOS is a good , any trips to the military Docs  to confirm you had this problem with CTS.

If you have Any medical condition that was caused from your prior military service  you can file a claim for it buddy.

If you file a claim for this  it be good ideal to file on other medical conditions that you may have &  get them all in claim status and let the VA figured it all out.

jmo

.............Buck

Buck,

I was in a car wreck, and hurt my wrist.  I didn't go to dr right away, but a few weeks later I did.  Wasn't hurting at first, but with continued use the pain came.

I did mention it at a dr appointment, 10 months out, when I was first getting into the VA healthcare system.  I saw that on those records I just got, a few weeks ago.  It says I complained of wrist pain from MVA while on AD.  So that's at least one complaint after AD, to the VA, but still inside my 1 year window.  Same for my SI as well.

A few months back  I was DXd by my VAMC with the CTS, bilateral. 

Where would I find info that shows operating a sewing machine was a part of my duties? Right hand was the one that cranked the wheel for manually operation machine when slower than foot pedal was needed...And I probable logged 1500 hours or more over my 6yr enlistment.

Thanks,

Andy

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

if you use  the sewing machine while on military duty   check your in-service records  for changed ''Duty MOS'' If you can't fine it  then call NRPC- St Louis and ask them to check on a change Duty MOS  for when you was using the sewing machine,(Dates) once you have a change duty MOS then you can establish the SC on the Carpal T.

some times your Primary MOS is not what they had you doing?

...I could not finds a MOS code for Sewing machine operator  but I did find in Utilities  a MOS for secondary fabric machine operator MOS  1181, They should be some records of what you did when you was using the sewing machine  for that many years, and your Primary MOS was not change for some reason?...this is what you need to tell the NPRC..so they can find a record of what your duty MOS  was.  and I believe they can find that MOS and put it in your record. MOS 1181 as  Secondary MOS or Changed to Duty MOS.

I'll look and see if I can find the name and number of the NRPC clerk that helped me...you do need to send them a SF-180   But maybe you already sent one? but I think they require one on each request? she will let you know over the phone.

You can make your request and send the SF-180 at the same time.   via PDF .. through the NPRC web site.

..........Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Andyman

Here is the name & number of the clerk that helped me from National Personal Records Archives in St Louis.

Michelle Patton (AFN-MC3A)

314-801-0800

Note: if you have any request for records or your Attorney has odered them for claim...then your records won't be there  at that time...when we request our records  then later request again during the time a claim is pending  then your records won't be there  if this is the case she will mail you a letter letting you know.  and you will need to request at a later date. I believe within 30 days.

I just hope this clerk still works there ? because this was a few years ago.

.................Buck

..................Buck

Buck,

Thanks for the info, but I don't think I need it, and here's why...operating a sewing machine is/was a part of my primary MOS duties.  I was taught how to use their simple but powerful Eagle brand sewing machines at my A school.  The only option these machines had was reverse. So sewing was a part of my regular daily duties of my primary MOS.

In my shop at Cherry Point we actually had this monster machine with a hand wheel approx 18 inches across!  Supposedly these big machines were for sewing parachute webbing, where you had it folded over 3-4 times. This beast could punch through a dollar's worth of quarters like tissue paper!!! Several years later it was taken from us, apparently we didn't rate that big machine, as they are usually found on flat tops(aircraft carriers) or at parachute lofts, and not at individual squadrons.

We repaired flight suits, and jackets/coats/etc; and aircraft sound deadening insulation blankets(really sucked if they were soaked in old hyd fluid). And often we did little side jobs on a barter basis, too. I must have sewed velcro backing on several thousand unit patches during my enlistment, and probably near 10K or more leather name patches, that we also embossed with name rank and specific flight/jump wings.  I mean, we literally earned our semi-degrading sounding nick names "Stitch Bitch".

Shoot, one guy in my shop paid for his car's bare metal body resto and paint work with after hours tayloring work.  He was rather gifted with a sewing machine, however at 6'3" tall with 22.5" arms, no one was brave enough to call his manhood into question. Not only that, no one wanted to cause the unofficial squadron tailor to shut down ops, because he was as good or better than off base tailors and more affordable too...and had a much faster turn around time, too.