Sponsored Ads

• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
johnpaul6483

Bipolar Service Connected

Question

I recently had my c&p exam and have not yet received the results. One of my claims was for bipolar. I was diagnosed 3 years after I separated after a suicide attempt. While I was active duty I was diagnosed with adhd, now, based on my diagnosis, I now understand that the adhd was actually misdiagnosed during a period of mania. I had experienced mania during a deployment but never saw a doc. After my overseas deployment in theater I became severely depressed. I returned from that deployment in February, I went on terminal leave in June and was separated in July, I never received treatment for depression in the 3.5 month after I returned. This has caused significant problems in my life and I first experienced mania and depression during military service. Does anyone have an idea of what I should expect to hear from this claim? I was honest during my exam and the doctor seemed to agree that I was experiencing mania. Thank you for your honest opinions. My life fells like I'm in the gutter now and this claim would give some validity to what I experienced while on active duty.

4 answers to this question

I am service connected for bipolar, my only mental health visit during service was when I sought help and the psychiatrist deemed it, "a phase of life crisis"....whatever that meant.  That visit and statement alone was enough for the psychiatrist who conducted my c and p, over 10 years after my discharge to service connect me. Many people will say you cannot receive service connection for bipolar, that is false.  Often bipolar presents itself early on as adhd or even depression alone, psychiatrist know this and hopefully you saw a good one at your c and p.

Ad

I am service connected for Bipolar Disorder but I had a helluva fight to get it. It took me over twenty years fighting to get it. My records had evidence that I was depressed and suicidal. Make sure you have good evidence to present to them.

Yes, it took a friend of mine over 10 years  to get SCed from NSC to 100% P & T Bipolar.

I begged him to file the SF 180--he kept forgetting but finally did, and I told him to get the 201 Personnel file and any disciplinary actions reports as well as his SMRs.

The brig report clearly indicated he had exhibited inservice symptoms of Bi Polar.It was a mania incident, very unusual, and completely out of character for him..

I prepared a write up for him to give his VA  shrink, who I also know well and the doc knew his DX was Bi Polar but never knew how this incident was related to it.Maybe this vet  even forgot to tell him .

The shrink went over the entire incident in his 201 file and wrote to VA that there was no doubt this was the first manifestation of his BiPolar and added ( I was glad he did because I knew this was the fact as well) that the Navy, when he served had no idea what bi polar really was then in the late 1960s.

Hard to SC but NOT impossible.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments. I will post the results of my C&P once I receive them. The adhd diagnosis could be the nexus but I never had any disciplinary actions, after sep 11th I deployed. I rarely slept when I was manic which helped in regards to work. My friends who many assist with claims have also told me for years to file, I'm at least glad I finally did!

• Like 1