VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Profile questions

A few times I have seen profile questions and replies here on the forums, and dont pay much attention to them because they are from and to  other members.

Today I got a question in my profile that seems to be a personal issue they might not want here for others to read

Has anyone else been able to read their question here in the public forum? or be able to read profile posts from other members?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not had that problem.  However, when I am forced to "sign up" for something in order to read something I consider important, I use a "disposable" email address.  That is, I create an email addy that I generally never check, and let em spam it all they like.  Its easy to do with yahoo or google.  

My profile on the disposable addy will be a "composite".  In other words I change most of the details such as age, location, even  things I like, music etc, and use a nickname that is not my favorite.  

I feel it is not my responsibity to provide accurate data for marketers.  I am not in charge of that department, but instead provide security for my own family as a priority.  

By carefully selecting the email I wish to use, I can throw marketers off track.  I can also find out who is spamming me.  Example.

Lets say I wanted to find out something about "reservatol" which is sort of like an anti oxidant, and I had to sign up for "nutrition daily" (made up name) to get this.  I use my pets name as a handle and junk email addy with a 20 year old location.  I know whenever I get an email addressed to my pet, that I have been spammed, even if they figure out my actual email.  Then, I report those as spam.  

If you always use your name, location, same email, same computer, then you give hackers a target.  I make that target blurry.  

While I am a firm believer in honesty, providing accurate details about my life online to make it easier for internet marketers and hackers is not a good idea.  

Many times compters ask me for details I dont wish to provide.  Lets say they insist on an income level.  Do you go around to your friends and neighbors and ask them for copies of their tax returns?  That would be rude.  Neither do I.  But you can not get by that box to continue.  So, I might put that I make 3 billion per year, that my name is D. Duck.   or M. Mouse.  

When they ask for income level that is a red flag that your name will be sold to marketers.  I can see it now.  "I will sell you a list of people who make more than 500,000 per year".  Well some of those on that list will be.  E. Presley, D.Duck, and Elmer Fudd.  

Abraham told them his wife, Sarah, was his sister.  (Gen 20:2)  

Edited by broncovet