VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia and MDD Secondary to 30% TKR

Rate this question

LauraB

Question

HI...I was wondering if anyone has been successful in get Fibromyalgia as a Secondary SC to Knee injury.  I am 30% SC for my right knee, had multiple scopes and then a TKR in Feb. of 2015. In Sept. of 2015 I had to have another scope to remove the scar tissue and to clean up the prosthesis in the Right knee...the moment I woke up from that surgery I had severe neck pain, then shoulder pain, leg pain, skin pain, lethargic...ended up with Bells Palsy and Shingles as well..was tested for Lupus and that was ruled out..I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and started medication.  I was also diagnosed with MDD the same time..Ive been dealing with this left knee injury since 1986 and also just had my left knee replaced (in the process of getting left knee as secondary to right knee as well). I was NOT in the Gulf war, so I know I do not qualify under that one.  But it is all documented in my VA files, I see a VA doctor every 3 months...I am in the process of getting a Nexus letter from the doc and one from the Pysch as well...Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful!  Thank you!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not sure you can get Fibro secondary to your sc knee disability,(not being in the Gulf War) but you can get your Fibro secondary to your MDD IF You have a diagnose for the Fibro?

This might help you understand better.

When an illness or injury is not directly related to your military service, but is caused or worsened by an existing service-connected disability, you may be entitled to additional compensation benefits.

If your service-connected disability causes a new disability or worsens a non-service-connected disability, the new disability can be service-connected as secondary to the primary service-connected disability. Known as secondary service connection, the VA will treat your new disability as if it were related to your military service and provide a separate rating for this impairment.

Examples of Secondary Service Connections

For example, if you have a service-connected left knee disability, you may experience difficulty with walking and standing. As a result, you may tend to favor your right knee, causing you to develop problems in the right knee. Since your right knee condition was the result of your left knee disability, you can service connect the right knee as secondary to the service-connected left knee.

Edited by Buck52

I do have a Fibro diagnosis, so that isn't going to be a problem...What seems to be the issue now is my VSO at the DAV already filed the MDD and the Fibro as a secondary to the Right knee...I just sent my doc an email asking her to write a Nexus linking the MDD/Anxiety to the Right knee and then a Nexus linking the Fibro to the MDD..whew..

Edited by LauraB

Got a letter last week with my C&P exam dates..I have  a Psych and a General Medical exam the same day...Im hoping to meet with my psych at the VA before hand and ask her to fill out a DBQ and my PCP doc to fill out the DBQ for Fibro....Ive never had a Psych C/P, only multiple Knee ones....Hoping it goes well!

Just read my C&P report for the Fibro and MDD...the Fibro was denied, 

b. The condition claimed is less likely than not (less than 50% probability) proximately due to or the result of the Veteran's service connected condition.

c. Rationale:

Up-to-date: "Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder with an unknown etiology

and unclear pathophysiology." Therefore it is not possible to state that Ms.

Penny-Birkenbach's diagnosis of fibromyalgia is the result of strain, lateral

collateral ligament, right knee; status post lateral meniscectomy and medial meniscectomy chondromalacia patellae. 

and the MDD was denied, stating that 

b. The condition claimed is less likely than not (less than 50% probability) proximately due to or the result of the Veteran's service connected condition.

c. Rationale: The Veteran's depression (and anxiety) are not "due to or the

result of" her knee condition ("strain, lateral collateral ligament, right

knee; status post lateral meniscectomy and medial meniscectomy with chondromalacia patella) as symptom onset was primarily related to AIDS/HIV+ diagnosis in 1995. However, her knee condition is thought to aggravate and exacerbate her depression and anxiety. 

UGGHHHH...Im going to fight this..my depression was worsened due to the multiple knee surgeries!!!!!

Edited by LauraB
spelling