VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied 70% Rating For Ptsd Yesterday

Rate this question

emmak

Question

:huh: Hi folks, I just got the denial for an increase from 50% to 70% for PTSD. I am really angry and want so much to blast the powers to be for just blowing off what I have gone through and what I still live with today. Because I choose to try and live a somewhat normal life and keep problems to myself and my wife I am not 70%. If I went to the c&p looking like a slob, denied that I do have contact with my sister and her husband it problbly would have made a difference. I intend to follow up on this but I really want to write a letter blasting the raters for being jackasses. Will it do me more harm than good to do so?

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

i would have a sore finger if i wrote everything about my C & P for an increase from 50 % ..

but one thing i had to do was tell him about my night mares , with tears in my eyes and looking at the floor or wall , but i give him the works in detail..some may disagree but do not make much eye contact at the c& p.

at the begining of the c&p he told me three words after all the other stuff he then asked me the three words i could only tell him on,, thus the short term memory loss.

when he asked about my married life i told him the truth..we havent slept tegether for years because of my yelling and screaming, and thrashing around in bed. she wouldnt get no sleep and a good chance of getting hurt.. we cant sleep together to this day. and i also have to sleep with a light on when i can sleep.

theres more but you get the idea,, you have to meat the criteria for 70 % or 100 %

i really believe i would have gotten 100% but i goofed i think on a question about hallucinations, i didnt understand at the time what he was asking.

good luck with your claim.... big al 70% PTSD...40% lower back.... 10% each leg...10% tinnitus...0% hearing.. TDIU.. P&T

Edited by big_al_100_nv

Please give us more details so we can help this Vet that posted his VA rating experience. What was and is your life-circumstances and situation, please? Those facts would be helpful. Were you working, employed, good family life, good social life, etc? Did PTSD impact your life in any way? How, please?

Thanks.

i started like everyone else i got 10% out the gate and then filed a NOD and started 2 times a month meetings one hour long... with the nurse , she just took notes and i keep going then she suggested i apply for a increase and i did . With her notes only i was bumped to 70% it was then my nurse suggested maybe i needed to go inhouse for a short stay ... i said no thanks and keep going to meeting (one on one) no group no anger management and then i applied for IU i was working at the time but my jobs were always spotty work a few years then stop or move and so on.. for proof i sent in my SSD report showing back 20 years my earnings... I got IU based on this showing a up and down work history. I wanted to apply for PT right away the nurse said dont do it wait a little less then one year and then apply ,,, i waited 10 months and got PT As for inpact PTSD had on my life i told the nurse what was happening i did not know what it ment i just said it... I shop at night when there are less people in line or the store... i have no friends to speak of.... I dont like crowds....... sometimes i dont want to see anyone or talk to anyone.... i put a lock on my bedroom door to keep myself inside and so i dont scare the kids wandering and looking out the windows. ...sometimes i have that dejauv... you know where you think something bad will happen and you are waiting for it to happen... when ever everything was going well i would quit my job and move on...............I have been married 3 times......... i wont go to a cemetary ........... And seeing animals hurt made me very sad but people less so....

:huh: I am LeRoys wife and I am so glad that all of you have taken the time to give me an oponion of what has happened with the appeal for his ptsd rating. I guess I should be happy that LeRoy was awarded 50% the first time around and after a short wait of five months from the start of the claim to the decision. A little background on LeRoy; entered the army at 18,served for 9 years. He is what i and others would describe as a "mans man" as my brother described him. In Germany during the Berlin crisis, on standby for the Cuban crisis and 15 months in Vietnam.Left the military from Vietnam.Among medals he has the bronze star and galantry cross. I knew him prior to Vietnam and met up again with him four years after Vietnam. He did not come back the man he was prior to Vietnam. Our home was run military style and LeRoy had amd still has all the classic symptoms of PTSD. NIghtmares, flashbacks, people at work were very leary of him and his temper and after seeing his flashbacks and nightmares first hand I feared the word Vietnam because I did not know how he would react. He refused all counceling kept everything bottled up and to this day he to sleeps on the couch with the tv on.As he put it " i am used to sleeping with one eye open". He is unable to express love for me or anyone else and Let me tell you that when he was ask during the C&P exam about his ability to have feelings for me he stated no which is true yet I know somewhere in his heart he does 100% he just is unable to express it. He is a good man, honest, and has never laid a hand on me. He was a good worker, if fact he seemed to be driven by his job. Enough for today. Will write more later if anyone wishes more insight.I sometimes think I suffer from ptsd through him. Edited by emmak

• HadIt.com Elder

For most the threshold for 70% is not being able to work. It also will get you TDIU if you ask for it.

Any Vet who is 70% and unable to work is making a huge mistake. In your denial you should ask for a Statement of the Case and see why you were denied and than fix it if you can.

• HadIt.com Elder

Get Leroy into treatment. This will help him with the PTSD and with his disability rating. Going to the VA for treatment is a good way to build documentation to get a higher rating. The evidence is right there in front of them. When I got P&T it was based on my treatment records at the VA. What the VA thinks is that if you have serious problems why are you not getting care at the VA? What you do is stick to the VA like glue and get every bit of treatment for your service connected conditions. Robert51 in on the right track with this.