VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DJD?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Question  for me to answer a Vets question? I met at my VAMC

Can a Vietnam Vet be rated for D.A.  (Dengenerative Arthritis? 

Under code DC 5003 10% OR 20%

This vet had a X-Ray from his PCP said Dr sent him a letter stating what the X ray showed. =D.A. in lower back area (I don't have many details) but he said he was not injured while in military  or had combat action while in Nam.

He was ok after Vietnam  but came down with this D.A. IN HIS Lower Back Area years later

He ask me if he could get a rating for it if its not S.C..??

I did give this vet a hadit card I printed off....don't know if he will chime in here or not?   I told him I'd try to find out, he gave me his Number to call him when I find out.

Thanks.

.................Buck

Anybody have any suggestions?

IDK? he want to go on the A.O. Prsumption that A.O. cause the Dengenerative Arthritis

Is this possible ?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Question  for me to answer a Vets question? I met at my VAMC

Can a Vietnam Vet be rated for D.A.  (Dengenerative Arthritis? 

Under code DC 5003 10% OR 20%

This vet had a X-Ray from his PCP said Dr sent him a letter stating what the X ray showed. =D.A. in lower back area (I don't have many details) but he said he was not injured while in military  or had combat action while in Nam.

He was ok after Vietnam  but came down with this D.A. IN HIS Lower Back Area years later

He ask me if he could get a rating for it if its not S.C..??

I did give this vet a hadit card I printed off....don't know if he will chime in here or not?   I told him I'd try to find out, he gave me his Number to call him when I find out.

Thanks.

.................Buck

Anybody have any suggestions?

IDK? he want to go on the A.O. Prsumption that A.O. cause the Dengenerative Arthritis

Is this possible ?

There would need to be at the minimum, some sort of record of an in or during service event that could be used as the basis for a nexus.

Are there any existing A.O. related awards for anything? 

Otherwise, the VA (and most everyone else) will say that the condition is a fairy common problem, and the result of "normal" living, working, and aging. Exceptions relaxing the "rules" do exist, but, from the information given, it sounds like they are not applicable.

As a general comment, remember that the classical military retirement has been 20 and out. That in part is some recognition that military service can be quite wearing.

I'm also currently fighting a back injury denial. There is minimal and possibly ambiguous reference to it in my service records. War zone service, awarded combat veteran status, and so forth that are applicable. The VA at the RO level, naturally denied, forcing an appeal. (Failure to apply combat veteran status rules and law) I'd likely not have appealed, but the rules for certain levels of SMC may be a factor for additional compensation.

• HadIt.com Elder

OIC 

Thanks Chuck75

I did let him know that if he didn't have any STR'S about his back being injured or something like that while in the military I told him it was doubtful that he would be approved for a rating, but I said you may go ahead and file a ITF...and gather up your S.T. medical records, he said the VA has been treating him for it for years.

I'll call him and let him know what you mention.

Thanks

........................Buck

"IDK? he want to go on the A.O. Prsumption that A.O. cause the Dengenerative Arthritis

Is this possible ?"       

No this is not an AO presumptive.He might well have another disability that is AO presumptive.The complete list of all AO presumptives is here under a search.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Ms berta

yes I check the A.O.List and never found anything on it but certain forms of cancer&other presumptive'sDegenertive  Arthritics was not on it.

I'll let this vet know  and if he has any other disability'sthat he thinks was caused from his military service, to go see a Dr  private Doc  not VA.

And go from there.

I also mention to him to request his c-file and look for medical he was treated for while in the military.

He mention to me another vet had mention to him that he was service connected for Arthritics ...But the Vet  was injured in military...I said thats why he is service connected.

so many times at my VAMC we veterans get to talking/visiting waiting on appointments and this subject comes up a lot  I give out Tbirds  Hadit cards I printed off.

• HadIt.com Elder