VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

This is a circus. Sleep Study

Rate this question

Cobra4v

Question

In April I requested a new sleep study through my PC. The consoltation went through in May and I was advised the next available at home study was in September. I was granted the option to go through the Choice Program. I can acted them towards the middle of May and set up my request. 

At the time they said they were waiting on a consoltation before they could set up my plan to go outside and get care. Two weeks later, I contacted them again and spoke with a rep. She told me I was scheduled June 7th for an at home sleep company provided by a private company. Got the phone number from her and contacted them to get information.

That same day I contacted them and spoke with a rep. She was provided my old contact and mailing information. She told me she was trying to schedule me for the 7th of June but still hadn't received my consoltation from the VA (This was towards the end of May)

June 5th I spoke with a rep again, she still hasn't received my consoltation. I asked if their was anyone I could talk to and help the situation. She said no, We will contact you once we receive it. For now we will set your equipment to mail out on the 13th.

Today June 13, received a phone call. "Hey, just wanted to let you know we still haven't received your consoltation. We will contact you once we do.

What a class act. This is simply ridiculous. Might as well pay out of pocket since I can't even use the Choice Program. They went ahead and scheduled me for an outside provider of their choice. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, Cobra4v said:

Captains log July 1st.

Still no sleep study done. Choice Program said they haven't heard back from my facility for the second referral. I contacted them on the 15th and requested the second referral. Choice Program didn't contact any other facilities like I requested. Out of the thousand facilities i'm sure one doesn't require 2 referrals.

Oh man, that really stinks. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. I have come to refer to this as the "(lack of) Choice Program". Some veterans have had better experiences than I have. I don't want to scare you, but keep in mind a sleep study can save your life. If you actually have sleep apnea and need a CPAP machine, then it can save you. Without the study, there is no way to determine if you need one yet. Like you, I would prefer to err on the side of caution.

Call Bob McDonald, your Congressman, etc... In my opinion, there is zero reason why you should not have had a study already.

Vync, 

i contacted a rep rep for the choice program and complained last week. She called the provider and tried to put in another referral. The following day I received a call from the provider.

"we still haven't received a referral. We're waiting still, just to give you a heads up".

allin all nothing has changed.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
5 hours ago, Cobra4v said:

Vync, 

i contacted a rep rep for the choice program and complained last week. She called the provider and tried to put in another referral. The following day I received a call from the provider.

"we still haven't received a referral. We're waiting still, just to give you a heads up".

allin all nothing has changed.

:blink:

Cobra,
That's awful. Try this approach, each and in turn... Tell them you need an answer by the end of the next business day or you will escalate to the next level. If they say it will take longer than that, tell them you have waited far too long already.

1. VAMC Patient Advocate
2. VAMC Chief of Staff
3. VAMC Director
4. Bob McDonald

If the above fail to produce results, your Congressman would indeed be interested. The news media might be interested also.

how do I go about contacting Bob McDonald? I got a call from them today and they have removed me from the waiting list. They say I haven't been issued the referral and once they do they will put me back on the list for the next opening. 

6 hours ago, Cobra4v said:

how do I go about contacting Bob McDonald? I got a call from them today and they have removed me from the waiting list. They say I haven't been issued the referral and once they do they will put me back on the list for the next opening. 

Get an appointment with your PCP and they will do it right away. If you can contact them through HealtheVet Blue button, even better and you won't have to waste time. If you have a MSW assigned and you know who they are, copy them and they will get the job done for you. PCP's are kind of overwhelmed, but be nice to your MSW's. They can be miracle workers in working with hospital staff, when you need it most  :)

Already left a message with my PCP. No change. Called and spoke with a choice veterans service rep who made some phone calls too.