VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IME in Ohio

Rate this question

RetiringArmy

Question

4 answers to this question

You are premature for an IME while still in service.  We dont know what disabilities you are applying for.  

Generally, you need to apply for benefits within a year of discharge.  (You wont get any benfits on disabilities you predict you will have after service) . 

You only get benefits on disabilities related to service that have occurred, not that you predict will occur.  Its good to think ahead, but, unless you have an "in service event" or aggravation, it wont be linked to service.  A doctor can not provide "an in service event".  

There are a few docs who do IMO's...on many different disorders, such as DR. Bash.  

Keep in mind you need 3 things for service connection, not "just" an IME/IMO:

1.  Current diagnosis (that is, after service).  It wont hurt that you have an in service diagnosis, but keep in mind the VA does not pay for "acute" disorders.  They have to be "chronic" and demonstrate symptoms over time, not just hurt for a while and then the pain goes away, such as a sprain.  

2.  In service event or aggravation. 

3.  Nexus or doc opinion that your current (post service) diagnosis is "at least as likely as not" due to the in service event. 

There is a bdd, but I dont know how that one works exactly, but its probably similar.  

• HadIt.com Elder
On 6/14/2016 at 7:48 PM, RetiringArmy said:

Anybody get an IME from a doc who understands VA rules in Ohio  that they would recommend?

I am retiring from active duty soon

Thanks 

START GATHERING ALL YOUR MEDICAL EVIDENCE, MEDICAL NOTES THAT YOU CAN GET WHILE YOUR STILL IN THE MILITARY AND ITS BEST TO GET ALL THAT NOW BEFORE YOU GET OUT.

MEDICAL EVIDENCE IS WHAT WINS CLAIMS   THAT'S YOUR PROOF TO HELP SUBSTANTIATE YOUR CLAIM.

IF YOU HAVE A CLAIM ITS BEST TO FILE FOR IT RIGHT AWAY AS SOON AS YOU GET OUT   OR WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR.

Edited by Buck52

I would also add to make sure you get everything documented in your medical records. If your spouse says you snore very loudly or you are very tired during the day, I would suggest getting checked for sleep apnea. Just make sure you get all medical issues documented in your medical records, no matter how minor the issue. JMO

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use