VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD's long term effects. Did you win a decision?

Rate this question

Cliche Magnet

Question

Have any of you seen psychologists/psychiatrists for years after service and had documentation related to an incident in service, but with no diagnosis in-service?  For instance did you get witness accounts and doctor's notes outside of service about a PTSD incident and then were able to connect this to service related conditions to get an award from the VA?

I ask because I am likely able to get witness accounts, and possibly even a witness account from my Commander who noted changed behavior, but otherwise stellar performance.  (I was selected for early promotion, but lost the board to another airmen..  CO and shop Chiefs noted severe stress/agitation too much anxiety during the board and at the time they shrugged it off but since I was well acquainted with everyone on the board they said afterwards that my behavior was markedly changed/out of character and had asked if something in life was causing problems)

Thank you for your help.

-cm

5 answers to this question

Maybe I can help.  The "CAluza triangle" necessary for service connection is, as follows:

1.  Current diagnosis.

2.  In service event or aggravation.

3.  Nexus, or link (medical) between these, above.  

You dont need a "diagnosis in service", but you do need an "in service event or aggravation".  With PTSD, this is called a "stessor".  

Please allow an example.  YOu served in wartime, and you watched a friend of yours burn to death from an IED bomb in his vehicle.  This is documented.  

After exit from service, you are diagnosed with PTSD (current diagnosis)

You had some documentation that you observed your friend burn to death.  (stressor, or in service event).  

You get a letter from your doctor which explains your sypotoms of PTSD are "at least as likely as not" due to watching your friend, helplessly, burn to death in service.  

YOu satisfied the Caluza critera and should get compensated for PTSD.  Your rating will be on symptoms, once service connected.  

Hey Bronco, thanks for the prompt and concise reply!

I've 'basically' got the 1 and 2, but I am having serious problems with 3.  " You get a letter from your doctor which explains your symptoms of PTSD are "at least as likely as not" due to watching your friend, helplessly, burn to death in service. "

I am being treated for this and many other issues, but absolutely none of my V.A. doctors seem to have the balls to write a letter as such as written above with clear intent for a V.A. claim.  "Duty to assist" is completely out the window and as a matter of fact the V.A. needs to just stop saying that shit if they aren't going to back it up.

But, enough bitching on my part.. do you have any idea how I can go about with #3?  I mean to say, is there a procedure or exam at the V.A. besides the ridiculous C&P exam where I can get a non-biased affirmation of item 3 above?

I'd really like to get the V.A. to pay for a nexus examination outside of the V.A. ensuring they can't pull any b.s. but I have no clue how to do so...

Thank you so much for your time.

-CM

Independent Medical Opinion preferably someone who specializes in mental health. Truly saddens me to even read about such an experience.  Good luck and best wishes.

The first thing you need to do is order your medical records and see if a nexus statement already exists.  It may or may not.  If its not there, then, you can try asking your doc for a nexus.  If that does not work, then you can try an IME/IMO.