VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I need help understanding my C&P exam!

Rate this question

Osccore9

Question

Hello everyone,

I need help with the results of my C&P exam. I had it 2 weeks ago, and received the report yesterday. Can someone help me understand the outcome? Will I be awarder a disability rating? Or will I be denied? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Osccore9

17 hours ago, Mark D Worthen PsyD said:

That might have been true in the past, but since the advent of the DBQs, the Raters focus on the items checked off on the 'Symptoms' list (Section II, Number 5 of the Initial PTSD DBQ). The reason for this focus is that those symptoms come directly, verbatim, from the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a rating consistent with the summary statement of social and occupational impairment (Section I, Number 4a) when the symptoms endorsed corresponded with a significantly higher rating. 

Plus, Raters now use an automated Evaluation Builder, which uses the items in the Symptoms List to determine the rating. 

I attached a copy of the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders.

Mark

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders.docx

Dr., 

You're opinion is highly anticipated.  Thanks for the link, makes me feels a lot better.  I will keep you posted. 

Then another Lay opinion, the C & P Dr stating "medium to severe," might go a 70. At the 50 or 70, good chance of getting an "Inferred IU Claim."

Be prepared to file the IU FDC on E-Ben, the same day you get your Actual Award or see the Award on your E-Ben site. Not a bad idea to get educated regarding VA IU and Chapter 31 benefits, again, just a lay opinion.

There is a certain segment of the Vet population that believes the VA Rater's take every possible opportunity, to "Low Ball," SC Awards. I personally haven't seen it, but again that's just my Lay opinion.

You just had your PTSD C & P, was it from an FDC or Reg AXX Claim? With an FDC, you should have a Decision with in 3 -4 months. Reg AXX Claim, could be waiting 9 -14 months or so.

Semper Fi

2 hours ago, Gastone said:

Then another Lay opinion, the C & P Dr stating "medium to severe," might go a 70. At the 50 or 70, good chance of getting an "Inferred IU Claim."

Be prepared to file the IU FDC on E-Ben, the same day you get your Actual Award or see the Award on your E-Ben site. Not a bad idea to get educated regarding VA IU and Chapter 31 benefits, again, just a lay opinion.

There is a certain segment of the Vet population that believes the VA Rater's take every possible opportunity, to "Low Ball," SC Awards. I personally haven't seen it, but again that's just my Lay opinion.

You just had your PTSD C & P, was it from an FDC or Reg AXX Claim? With an FDC, you should have a Decision with in 3 -4 months. Reg AXX Claim, could be waiting 9 -14 months or so.

Semper Fi

Great advice re: filing for IU! :smile: Of course, if @Osccore9 receives a 100% rating it will be a moot point, but if it's 70% and working is not a reality at this time, then an IU claim would for sure be the thing to do. 

I also agree with @Gastone that, while it certainly might have been true in the past (I've heard so many very credible horror stories from countless veterans), in the 5+ years I worked for VA as a C&P examiner, I saw the vast majority of RSVRs (Raters) make conscientious decisions, even going out of there way (while under a lot of pressure to increase production) to make sure they had explored every avenue for service-connection.

VBA has the highest percentage of veteran-employees (other than DoD, of course) of any agency in the federal government (50%). Although the majority of non-veterans like myself really give a s**t about you guys too, I think it does say something that they hire so many vets. 

By the way, going back to Osccore9's C&P exam report, the examiner did a much more thorough job researching, describing, and explaining several pertinent behavioral markers than usual. She (I think it was a she) also has clearly educated herself extensively regarding the long-term sequelae (effects) of sexual trauma. That's really nice to see, especially given how many mediocre (at best) exam reports that contractors and VA staff produce. 

Edited by Mark D Worthen PsyD
syntax; typo

• HadIt.com Elder

To the Original poster  Osccore9

I think this veteran will get a 100%rating....based on this C&P.

However at my C&P the examiner had check off all the boxes  except the Hygiene part.(I have good Hygiene)

.  They gave me S.C.  70% Rating   & in my Reason & Bases  

;;What We Decided   '' We base this on the criteria that closely  gives the rating of 70%...I probably should have NOD this decision , but I was at the 100% rating  and with the S.C. 70% PTSD they used the statutory rating to meet the SMC-S1 H.B.

So I was ok with that decision   and I'm tired of fighting with the VA  And want to just live out my life with my family.

Good Luck Osccore9

..............Buck

............Buck

To the OP;

I re-read your C&P exam and then I read mine.  I see similarities in our C&P exams.  I was personally assaulted in the military and I got pregnant and lost the child.  MST is a REAL situation.  The examiner indicated you have MST, the examiner pretty much gave you a favorable exam.

If the rater goes off the "occupational and social impairment" then you are looking at 70%.  To be honest if you get 70% right out the gate you are doing okay!  You can at least file for IU and furthermore you can appeal the decision.  But you could be looking at 100% as well.

Now here is my concern for your "well being".  You indicated you are living out of your car?  Have you contact the local Hud VASH program at your local VA Hospital?  They can help you out.  I have seen a lot of Vet's get off the streets.

Second, you should be in ONE on ONE therapy for your issues.  I am in weekly therapy with a doctor who sees me and ONE other veteran on a weekly basis individually.  I think for your treatment you should contact your MH provider and ask about ONE on ONE treatment.  I don't think a group setting is going to help you, especially with your issues of MST.

It took me two decades to come out with my MST.  I hid it for so long and it was the worst thing I could have done.  Now I have been in treatment for just about 2 years and I am getting better.  

Keep in mind that you can and will get better and be aware that in the future your PTSD rating might not be P&T or "static".  Look at the code sheet for that determination.  Because my PTSD is non-static, the only rating I have that is non-static and that means I am open for a review in the future.  I want to get better so if it means I am getting better then so be it.  Make sure you have your mind on the right path.......Healing and getting better!

Take Care!

12 hours ago, Osccore9 said:

Gastone,

Im just asking for opinions.  Obviously I know it doesn't matter, but I'll take the doctors advice over anyone's.   He gave me good news, so I'll go with his PROFESSIONAL opinion.  

Remember all of us are simply giving "opinions" including the doctor and we are all just simply giving you our experiences which is what you asked for.  All of our opinions are opinions.

Edited by Navy4life