VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Get diagnosed for PTSD first or file now through VSO? Am I getting bad advice?

Rate this question

AirForce99

Question

I've been advised by my private doctor and my wife to schedule and appointment with mental health at the VA to determine if I have PTSD. I've always been embarrassed to go get checked out and have this on my record. But at this point I don't care.

Long story short. I was deployed for Operation Iraqi Freedom to the desert in 2009 before I got out of the Air Force.

During that deployment I worked 10am-10pm 130 days in a row without a day off. I was responsible for over 3,000 combat sorties and 110,000 passengers/soldiers during that time. This is also noted in my Commendation Medal.

I was in intelligence briefings every day and saw dead bodies, carnage, etc that I contributed to. (I was in charge of the communications devices, without me, they couldn't fly and I feel responsible).

It's now 7 years later and life isn't good. I rarely sleep, gained tons of weight, and lay in bed half the day for the last 5 years.

I'm SC'd for my lower back and blood pressure from my time in.

I think I may have PTSD but I don't know. I definitely experience depression, etc. I don't know if my back is causing it, if I don't deal with past issues well, etc. I'm

The thing is, I do not want to file a claim before I know what's wrong with me.

My VSO is recommending I file before being seen and to just let them do a C&P to determine the problems.

Wouldn't it be smarter to just have my local VA doctor refer me for a psychological evaluation and take the tests to see what's really going on whether it's truly PTSD, depression, or whatever?

At least then, if something IS wrong with me, it's in my records, documented and a done deal when I DO apply for benefits plus I get help.

Please help, what would you do?

Thanks

This time, I agree with VSO, at least sort of.   The earlier you apply, the earlier your effective date.  The longer you wait to apply, the more it costs you in retro.  

I dont see anything wrong with applying for "PTSD and any other diagnosed  applicable mental disoreder".  You do not have to be an expert at  classifying mental health disroders to get VA benefits.  Let the docs diagnose you and treat you.   

To delay filing because you are worried about which mental health disorder diagnosis makes no sense.  They are all rated the same, once service connected, based upon symptoms.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I Agree with broncovet,

if you file a ITF Claim (Intent to File) you have a year to submit your evidence, so start the ITF, However you need to let them know your filing a ITF (Intent to File) claim to start your time on your claim  as broncovet mention this gives you some time to build up your retro payment  but if you don't care about that  just submit  FDC Claim  (Fully Developed Claim)

Actually I believe this is on a 21-526 ez Form

so if your diagnose with PTSD by the VA Drs , and you have military medical documentation &  your str's for proof  , then submit it as your evidence, once you file for  PTSD the VA will send you a letter letting you know what all they need  and you can submit all this  through myhealthvet ebenefit's  its a lot easier and cheaper.

Remember to keep all copies you send the VA &If you use snail mail be sure and get a return sign reciept (greencard)

A VA Diagnose's of PTSD DSM 5 with or without  secondary diagnose of MMD/or Unspecific Depressive Disorders  and Bi-polar Symptoms  

I believe you will be diagnosed with PTSD at  A High rating possibly IU with P&T f you can't work because of this sc disability?

good Luck and I hope you start to feel better  PTSD  Sux!

...............Buck

Go to your local VA Walk-In Clinic for Mental Health and start there.  In the meantime do as the above Vet's stated and get the ITF secured for your date to file.  

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm setup through my primary care provider for an appointment with a VA clinical psychologist next week to see what's going on. Will he diagnose me after the first meeting or do I need to go to multiple appointments to see what's going on with me? Just not sure what to look for.

1 minute ago, AirForce99 said:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm setup through my primary care provider for an appointment with a VA clinical psychologist next week to see what's going on. Will he diagnose me after the first meeting or do I need to go to multiple appointments to see what's going on with me? Just not sure what to look for.

The assessment takes time....The initial consult will be a "meet and greet" so to speak.  You will need to get assigned to a TEAM once the assessment is determined that you need further treatment.  Your treatment plan will be based on what you and your doctor discusses with you.  It might be a NP (Nurse Practitioner).

Then you should continue the treatment and get the help you need.  At 50%, which I see you are S/C, you have the free care but further, any MH is free to Veteran's.

Don't rush this and continue to get the help and at the same time your notes will be in the system.

File the ITF now so that you preserve the one year.

Hope the treatment helps!

1 minute ago, Navy4life said:

The assessment takes time....The initial consult will be a "meet and greet" so to speak.  You will need to get assigned to a TEAM once the assessment is determined that you need further treatment.  Your treatment plan will be based on what you and your doctor discusses with you.  It might be a NP (Nurse Practitioner).

Then you should continue the treatment and get the help you need.  At 50%, which I see you are S/C, you have the free care but further, any MH is free to Veteran's.

Don't rush this and continue to get the help and at the same time your notes will be in the system.

File the ITF now so that you preserve the one year.

Hope the treatment helps!

Thanks so much, this helps a lot. So do I just check the "Blue Button" on eBenefits to see what they say about me and once I see an official diagnosis simply file at that point? Or do I wait until I've been seen a lot.