VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Get diagnosed for PTSD first or file now through VSO? Am I getting bad advice?

Rate this question

AirForce99

Question

I've been advised by my private doctor and my wife to schedule and appointment with mental health at the VA to determine if I have PTSD. I've always been embarrassed to go get checked out and have this on my record. But at this point I don't care.

Long story short. I was deployed for Operation Iraqi Freedom to the desert in 2009 before I got out of the Air Force.

During that deployment I worked 10am-10pm 130 days in a row without a day off. I was responsible for over 3,000 combat sorties and 110,000 passengers/soldiers during that time. This is also noted in my Commendation Medal.

I was in intelligence briefings every day and saw dead bodies, carnage, etc that I contributed to. (I was in charge of the communications devices, without me, they couldn't fly and I feel responsible).

It's now 7 years later and life isn't good. I rarely sleep, gained tons of weight, and lay in bed half the day for the last 5 years.

I'm SC'd for my lower back and blood pressure from my time in.

I think I may have PTSD but I don't know. I definitely experience depression, etc. I don't know if my back is causing it, if I don't deal with past issues well, etc. I'm

The thing is, I do not want to file a claim before I know what's wrong with me.

My VSO is recommending I file before being seen and to just let them do a C&P to determine the problems.

Wouldn't it be smarter to just have my local VA doctor refer me for a psychological evaluation and take the tests to see what's really going on whether it's truly PTSD, depression, or whatever?

At least then, if something IS wrong with me, it's in my records, documented and a done deal when I DO apply for benefits plus I get help.

Please help, what would you do?

Thanks

Yes Ebennies, MyHealthyVets will update in about 3-5 days after your visit.  Keep track of the documents by printing the ones that are pertaining to MH.  You will be able to discuss your situation with the MH doctor.  Don't go in there with the mind set that you are trying to file a claim.  Go in with the mind set that you need help and want it.  Go from there.

When I started my journey June 2014 by going into the MH Walk-In Clinic I had NEVER been diagnosed by the VA.  The NP who saw me that day told me right then and there her concerns and that she was going to get me assigned to a Team with MH and get me the help I needed.  Now keep in mind,  While I had an eating disorder, that was the only contention I applied for in 2013. After my visit to the MH Walk-In clinic I was called by a woman's advocate to file for PTSD, secondary to personal assault.  The claim was added to addition of my eating disorder.  I saw my C&P examiner in October of 2014 for both eating disorder and PTSD.  I was granted 30% in November for PTSD and 0% for ED.  

I also made sure that the Ebennies had all my documents.  I uploaded them on Ebennies...You don't have to upload your MyHealthyVet records because they can see those but keep them for your record.

Edited by Navy4life

Thanks so much, I'm glad to have an appointment with a clinical Psychologist next week. We will see how it goes. IF they diagnose me with PTSD, will that be clear in the notes or will I have to specifically ask the mental health doctor?

I'd rather just get the treatment, let them diagnose, and IF I see an official diagnoses in my records in MyHealthVet simply file and let the VA look in those records. I would imagine that is the perfect scenario.

You can be diagnosed with PTSD but in order to file a claim for PTSD service connected is the diagnose for one, TWO that the PTSD occurred in service, and Three you are getting the treatment for it.

The mere fact that you get diagnosed with PTSD doesn't warrant a VA claim for S/C.  You have to prove it is related to while you were in the service.  A lot of Vet's think just because they have PTSD they are automatically s/c for it.  Not so fast now.....

Just go to the appointment and see how it goes.

On 6/19/2016 at 0:30 PM, AirForce99 said:

I've been advised by my private doctor and my wife to schedule and appointment with mental health at the VA to determine if I have PTSD. I've always been embarrassed to go get checked out and have this on my record. But at this point I don't care.

Long story short. I was deployed for Operation Iraqi Freedom to the desert in 2009 before I got out of the Air Force.

During that deployment I worked 10am-10pm 130 days in a row without a day off. I was responsible for over 3,000 combat sorties and 110,000 passengers/soldiers during that time. This is also noted in my Commendation Medal.

I was in intelligence briefings every day and saw dead bodies, carnage, etc that I contributed to. (I was in charge of the communications devices, without me, they couldn't fly and I feel responsible).

I agree with all the great advice you received in this thread. 

There is a lot of debate about the changes made to the diagnostic criteria for PTSD with the publication of DSM-5 in 2013. I personally think it's a mixed bag, but one big positive I see is this addition to Criterion A

A.  Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence in one (or more) of the following ways: ... 4. Experiencing repeated or extreme exposure to aversive details of the traumatic event(s) (e.g., first responders collecting human remains; police officers repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse).

I see this addition as a very positive change because under DSM-IV, guys like you would have a very hard time receiving a PTSD diagnosis. It can still be a challenge, but it's better. I evaluated some of your fellow Airmen, and guys from other branches, with very similar experiences as you have had, and sure enough, the majority had PTSD or subsyndromal posttraumatic stress syndrome. I had the advantage of working at a C&P Clinic that gave us enough time to conduct thorough, evidence-based psychological evaluations, which is always important, but especially important with a new diagnostic criteria set. 

My hat's off to you @AirForce99.

All the Best,

Mark