VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI - first VA appointment

Rate this question

armorer

Question

After 34 years, I was finally competently diagnosed with TBI on My Nexus dated 4-9-16, and I finally had a medical Root cause for most all of my misery since about the 3rd day of my job in the Service.

Now, I have got my first VA TBI meeting next week: maybe an hour meeting or less. I was not told to bring anything, but I am going to be prepared to unload it all with notes, since I walk into rooms and don't know why half the time due to a fading short term memory.

If there is any reference to indicate what to expect, I'd appreciate the link. If I try to prepare for everything, I just get bogged down and accomplish little. I guess after the first meeting, it could go in any direction as complicated as the brain is. But I figured at the first meeting should be pretty routine, even if it also adapts to the Vet's particular syndromes.

Also, I've got a current TBI claim with many secondaries and TDIU in the process. SO I don't want to screw that up as bad as my life for the last 34 years (almost to the date) courtesy of the US Army. Thanks if anyone knows, cares, and has a chance to respond!

On 2/7/2017 at 8:01 AM, Buck52 said:

Well I hope no one ever comes down with Parkinson d but  we never know when any disease will strike us...some disease just strikes all at once...

TBI maps into 1) Dementia and/or 2) Parkinson's.

Firing range workers ordered not to wear ear protection have an increased probability of Parkinson's. From TBI, I've already got Dementia, Menieres, and Water on the Brain (NPH)., along with a half dozen other secondaries. Many older 'lifer' Marines have the shakes, and that is a nerve damage form of Parkinson's. I see it often at the VA hospital, and I always ask their Service and MOS. The Army and Marines are Parkinson's and Dementia factories: as if our leaders can't figure it out after endless wars in the last 1,000 years? Just look at the Disabled Veteran suicide rates for confirmation of disabled brains.

I think VA treats TBI, PTSD, and MDD about the same.  For more info on TBI, you may try looking up PTSD or MDD.   Sometimes they refer to them as anologous ratings.  

Edited by broncovet

After my neurologist apt I get annoyed when the doctors all say "I slipped through the VA cracks" is it bad I just want to say there aren't cracks in the VA but huge pit holes to fall into with no help to pull you out? The doctors at the Va are usually all great to work with medically wise and have nothing to do with the disability process. But thanks Bronco something else to arm look into.

Mr armorer- I looked at your post and was wondering - about the Noise at the range "causing" Parkinson's, found this article; stating .......Parkinson's causing hearing loss - just F Y I 

Not contradicting, just unable to locate how the noise would cause a neurological problem in the process of understanding your information.  http://www.hear-it.org/parkinsons-disease-may-also-result-hearing-loss

Intention tremors & other types or tremors is a bigger subject.

And please don't downplay your memory if it sucks let them send you to neuropsych test Do not let them give you a MOCA test for your brain it proves nothing and get a current MRI to see residuals..No CAT scans your has had time to heal as mine did my CAT was clean but the MRI picked. Up the 3.25 cm cyst in my brain but not the CAT