Sponsored Ads

• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!

Question

I have read in several places that it is almost impossible to get more than 10% for GERD.  Is this true?  I am asking because I just had a C&P exam and I have several symptoms, but was told it probably isn't enough.  Any ideas?

My symptoms that were checked are: 

Persistently recurrent epigastric distress
Pyrosis
Reflux
Regurgitation
Sleep disturbance caused by esophageal reflux

Frequency of symptom recurrence per year: 4 or more
Average duration of episodes of symptoms: Less than 1 day 

10 hours ago, marinevet1987 said:

I have read in several places that it is almost impossible to get more than 10% for GERD.  Is this true?  I am asking because I just had a C&P exam and I have several symptoms, but was told it probably isn't enough.  Any ideas?

My symptoms that were checked are: 

Pyrosis
Reflux
Regurgitation

GERD is rated as hiatal hernia.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=38:1.0.1.1.5#se38.1.4_1114

7346   Hernia hiatal:  
Symptoms of pain, vomiting, material weight loss and hematemesis or melena with moderate anemia; or other symptom combinations productive of severe impairment of health 60
Persistently recurrent epigastric distress with dysphagia, pyrosis, and regurgitation, accompanied by substernal or arm or shoulder pain, productive of considerable impairment of health 30
With two or more of the symptoms for the 30 percent evaluation of less severity 10

You meet the requirements for 10%, but the question is severity. What was checked on the C&P exam?

Edited by Vync

Ad

4 hours ago, Vync said:

You meet the requirements for 10%, but the question is severity. What was checked on the C&P exam?

Nothing physical was checked on the C&P.  She even said herself that she could of done the C&P without me being there. 

I see that several of my symptoms (Persistent recurrent epigastric distress, pyrosis, regurgitation) are in the 30% range, so I don't know what to think.  A copy of my C&P is below.

Esophageal Conditions (Including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), hiatal hernia and other esophageal disorders)
Disability Benefits Questionnaire 
Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P Examination Request? [X] Yes [ ] No

ACE and Evidence Review -----------------------
Indicate method used to obtain medical information to complete this document: [X] In-person examination
Evidence reviewed (check all that apply): [X] VA e-folder (VBMS or Virtual VA) [X] CPRS Diagnosis ---------

Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with an esophageal condition? Yes
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) ICD code: R69 Date of diagnosis: IN SERVICE
Hernia hiatal ICD code: R69 Date of diagnosis: 2011

Medical history ---------------
Description of the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's esophageal conditions: SEEKING INCREASE IN SC GERD CURRENTLY, WAKES UP WITH BURNING ACID IN THROAT AND HAS REFLUX THROUGHOUT THE DAY ON DAILY BASIS. WAKES UP SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK. GREASY FOODS MAKES SYMPTOMS WORSE. OMEPRAZOLE 20 MG DAILY TUMS THROUGHOUT THE DAY Does the Veteran's treatment plan include taking continuous medication for the diagnosed condition? Yes Medications used for the diagnosed condition: OMEPRAZOLE 20 MG QD Signs and symptoms

- Does the Veteran have any of the following signs or symptoms due to any esophageal conditions (including GERD)? Yes

Sign and Symptoms:
Pyrosis
Reflux
Regurgitation

Esophageal stricture, spasm and diverticula -------------------------------------------
Does the Veteran have an esophageal stricture, spasm of esophagus (cardiospasm or achalasia), or an acquired diverticulum of the esophagus? No

Other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs, symptoms and scars ---------------------------------------------------------------- -------------

Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs or symptoms related to any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above? No

Does the Veteran have any scars (surgical or otherwise) related to any conditions or to the treatment of any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above? No

Diagnostic Testing ------------------
Have diagnostic imaging studies or other diagnostic procedures been performed? No
Has laboratory testing been performed? No
Are there any other significant diagnostic test findings and/or results? No

Functional impact -----------------
Do any of the Veteran's esophageal conditions impact on his or her ability to work? No

Remarks, if any: ---------------- 07/28/2011 UPPER GI AIR CONT W/O KUB Thoracic esophageal, gastric, proximal small bowel motility morphology were notable only for small variably reducing hiatal hernia documentation of gastroesophageal reflux into the distal third thoracic esophagus.07/28/2011 08:32

Would "Sleep disturbance caused by esophageal reflux" be considered detrimental to health?  I wake up almost every night choking on acid in my throat.

It is really hard to get over 10%. I have severe Crohns Disease along with Barrett's Esophagus, and yet I am only rated at 30% for both combined. My GERD is so bad, the VA Docs thought I had Throat Cancer at one time due to all of the eroding of the esophagus. Good luck and keep us posted

This has me nervous.  I talked to my VSO today and he said it is very likely it should be 30%, but of course gave me the speech that nothing is 100% guaranteed.  He said he is rated 30% for GERD and has basically all of the same symptoms.  Now I have other people telling me no, no chance.  Not sure what to think.