VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Did I receive good advice for my initial C&P exam?

Rate this question

PFDR

Question

Hello all - 

Long time lurker & 1st time poster. First and foremost, thank you. Thank you for reading my post and providing insight to my question.

Well, after many years I could no longer take the pain & suffering and at the behest of my wife and friends I decided to get off my duff and start the C&P process.

So my question to you all who have traveled this road - did I receive good initial advice for an initial C&P exam at VES? 

The advice I was given from my local Vet Center adviser was to first & only conduct a C&P exam with issues/ailments that were/are documented from my active duty VA med file on record and not discuss all of my active duty related issues during my initial C&P visit.

Meaning, I have well documented issues with my shins and ankles while in the Army but I am having enormous issues now with not only my shins and ankles but ALSO my knees, hips, back, shoulders and neck... 

I followed my local Vet Centers advice and today I completed a VES C&P for my Shins, ankle and knees. I also had a hearing loss test to determine if I am suffering hearing loss with my tinnitus.

My hearing test was very thorough and lengthy, which I appreciated the full on testing. However, my shin, knee & ankle exam was super fast. I mostly answered a bunch of his questions, sat on a table, he held my leg and I pushed and pulled against his grip. I laid down and he moved each of my legs to my chest and back again and that was it... 

Should I have pushed harder to have ALL my issues addressed at once or is it best to 'Keep it Simple', get a rating, & then go in for my other issues at a later date?

I guess I'm wondering if I should start lining up another VES C&P appt for my other issues or should I sit tight and wait to hear what my rating is based off of a limited C&P exam today and then get rolling on my other issues?

From an old Airborne Infantryman, thanks for reading my post. 

2 answers to this question

As always, you are going to need the "Caluza" triangle to get service connected:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  In service event or aggravation documented.

3.  Nexus, or medical link to 1 and 2 above.  

As far as a nexus, you should check and see if your C and p doc opined, "its at least as likely as not that (your medical condition, shin splints, etc) is due to xx event in military service."  

If you have all 3 above, then you likely meet the bar for service connection, assuming you have the requisite service, good discharge, etc.  

If you are missing ANY one or more of the above, you will almost certainly be denied.  Even if you do have all 3, about 80% are denied anyway, and you will have to appeal.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...and you may be in the lucky 20 percent or so that get awarded on first round.  

I suggest you apply for all your disabilities ASAP, that is, unless you have money you dont need.  If service connected, your award effective date will be the later of the "facts found" or the date you applied.  Procrastinating in applying costs you money.  You decide.  

12 minutes ago, broncovet said:

As always, you are going to need the "Caluza" triangle to get service connected:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  In service event or aggravation documented.

3.  Nexus, or medical link to 1 and 2 above.  

As far as a nexus, you should check and see if your C and p doc opined, "its at least as likely as not that (your medical condition, shin splints, etc) is due to xx event in military service."  

If you have all 3 above, then you likely meet the bar for service connection, assuming you have the requisite service, good discharge, etc.  

If you are missing ANY one or more of the above, you will almost certainly be denied.  Even if you do have all 3, about 80% are denied anyway, and you will have to appeal.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...and you may be in the lucky 20 percent or so that get awarded on first round.  

I suggest you apply for all your disabilities ASAP, that is, unless you have money you dont need.  If service connected, your award effective date will be the later of the "facts found" or the date you applied.  Procrastinating in applying costs you money.  You decide.  

Thanks for the feedback broncovet. I have quite a bit of research I need to get knee deep in ASAP. Glad I came across this site when I did. Great info and great folks helping each other out, I appreciate it.