VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How much proof do you I for a "stressor"?

Rate this question

AirForce99

Question

Just talked to my private doctor today and I have an appointment with a VA mental health doctor next week. But I'm curious. My private doctor feels I have PTSD (And is willing to write a letter) and that the stressor is due to a deployment to the desert for OEF/OIF 10 years ago. My stressor has to do with working 130 days in a row, 12 hours per day without a break and seeing images of dead people/innocent civilians dead in breifings. I worked in intel/comm and was responsible for the every aircraft being able to fly. And of course there is guilt for feeling I contributed to the death of these same people. I have a Commendation Medal proving I was there during this period. I've never been the same since. Insomnia, Panic Attacks, weight gain, flashbacks, high blood pressure, the list goes on. But it's gotten bad over the last 5 years.

The problem is, my private doctor thinks it's a combination of the hours on top of seeing the bodies in breifings and the burdon I've put on my self feeling responsible for some of this. But will this qualify as a stressor or will I need to go back 10 years ago and have someone prove these images were shown? How would this work as it would be simply my testimony of what happened and what I experienced. I guess I'm really wondering, if the VA Psychologist sees it as my private doctor sees it and says I have PTSD and it's becuase of the images and stress caused by that specific deployment, is that good enough?

I'm not sure this would even qualify for a rating. Regardless, I'm getting help, I just couldn't come up with an answer for this. Thank you so much everyone.

The only proof I have are my story/experiences, what I deal with today, my DD214, a Global War on Terrorism Service Award, and my Commendation Medal from the deployment which proves I was there. And during that deployment, my Pay Type code was (Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger and Combat Zone Tax Exclusion). Thanks so much.

5 answers to this question

Thank you for the kind words, those who know you best must love your great attitude. My private doctor suggested all of this, I have no clue, I just started reading about all of this last week. I'm just "following orders" per se and doing what he says. What I mentioned above isn't everything, but a sample. 

I don't know enough about the qualifications for PTSD, however you need to have some for of continuity of treatment for said conditions you believe accompany that of your PTSD.

I have PTSD/MST rooted from non-combat experiences. You don't have to "leave the wire" to encounter the only evil in this world.

Now, there are a lot of resources here on this forum, especially for PTSD specifics, and many testimonials by fellow vets.

I'll put the link up in hopes of better guiding you, good luck and godspeed.

http://community.hadit.com/forum/76-ptsd-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-claims/

This one is the "PTSD Manual"

http://www.avapl.org/pub/PTSD%20Manual%20final%206.pdf

Edited by awgv001

1 hour ago, AirForce99 said:

Just talked to my private doctor today and I have an appointment with a VA mental health doctor next week. But I'm curious. My private doctor feels I have PTSD (And is willing to write a letter) and that the stressor is due to a deployment to the desert for OEF/OIF 10 years ago. My stressor has to do with working 130 days in a row, 12 hours per day without a break and seeing images of dead people/innocent civilians dead in breifings. I worked in intel/comm and was responsible for the every aircraft being able to fly. And of course there is guilt for feeling I contributed to the death of these same people. I have a Commendation Medal proving I was there during this period. I've never been the same since. Insomnia, Panic Attacks, weight gain, flashbacks, high blood pressure, the list goes on. But it's gotten bad over the last 5 years.

The problem is, my private doctor thinks it's a combination of the hours on top of seeing the bodies in breifings and the burdon I've put on my self feeling responsible for some of this. But will this qualify as a stressor or will I need to go back 10 years ago and have someone prove these images were shown? How would this work as it would be simply my testimony of what happened and what I experienced. I guess I'm really wondering, if the VA Psychologist sees it as my private doctor sees it and says I have PTSD and it's becuase of the images and stress caused by that specific deployment, is that good enough?

I'm not sure this would even qualify for a rating. Regardless, I'm getting help, I just couldn't come up with an answer for this. Thank you so much everyone.

The only proof I have are my story/experiences, what I deal with today, my DD214, a Global War on Terrorism Service Award, and my Commendation Medal from the deployment which proves I was there. And during that deployment, my Pay Type code was (Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger and Combat Zone Tax Exclusion). Thanks so much.

AirForce99, I too have PTSD but have never asked for service connection for it only because I am already rated at 100% but do not let those who have combat related PTSD belittle your symptoms or what you are going through.  PTSD can be from what you are describing and I too was in intel during the first gulf war, yugoslavia and assure you that I understand what you are referring to.  Hopefully someone with more sense and tact can help you.  God bless!!

11 minutes ago, seminoles said:

AirForce99, I too have PTSD but have never asked for service connection for it only because I am already rated at 100% but do not let those who have combat related PTSD belittle your symptoms or what you are going through.  PTSD can be from what you are describing and I too was in intel during the first gulf war, yugoslavia and assure you that I understand what you are referring to.  Hopefully someone with more sense and tact can help you.  God bless!!

Thank you Seminoles, that means a lot to me.

If you file a claim for PTSD, the VA will use the July 2010 rule to adjudicate it:

"The problem is, my private doctor thinks it's a combination of the hours and seeing images of dead people/inn on top of seeing the bodies in breifings and the burdon I've put on my self feeling responsible for some of this. But will this qualify as a stressor or will I need to go back 10 years ago and have someone prove these images were shown?  "

If you do not fall into the "fear of hostile activity " criteria of the new regulations, the long hours you worked and the briefings, with proof ,along with your MOS ,as feeling responsible for some of what you saw, might garner you a PTSD diagnosis.

The VA will only accept a PTSD DX from a VA MH professional who would do a C & P exam.

You mentioned "Intel" so some of your records might be classified. Actually they ALL might be.

But the Mil assured my daughter (USAF INTEL ) that if needed for any VA claims purposes ,the DOD will declassify what the veteran needs.

I think you should obtain copies of your SMRs and Military Personnel files which can be done at the NARA web site.

I stated "might' dx you with PTSD so maybe best to claim depression as well...hard to say but others will chime in.

And you do have a VA appointment soon so that is a good move.  You could tell the VA doc what the private doc said.I assume the private doc is a Psychologist or psychiatrist.

Edited by Berta