VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feelin the burn

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

So, I recently began feeling like my feet are on fire.  It feels like I stepped into a campfire that's been tamped down, no visible flames, but still very hot down under.  It comes and goes, no rhyme or reason. Also, for a year or two been getting the same on the back of my L hand.  It's not hot enough to make me holler, but nearly so.  I told my PCP a while back, about the hand fire, said it feels like scalding hot water was poured on it.  Feet fire feels a little different.  While the hand burning feels like it's on the outside,  the feet fire goes all through, skin, flesh, bone even.

Nothing makes my MDD seem so much better like adding more fuel to the fire(pun intended).  Any ideas what can cause that type of sensation? I know it's not diabetic nuropathy, as I get my blood checked several times a year...and my sugars are well within the normal operating range.

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

So, I recently began feeling like my feet are on fire.  It feels like I stepped into a campfire that's been tamped down, no visible flames, but still very hot down under.  It comes and goes, no rhyme or reason. Also, for a year or two been getting the same on the back of my L hand.  It's not hot enough to make me holler, but nearly so.  I told my PCP a while back, about the hand fire, said it feels like scalding hot water was poured on it.  Feet fire feels a little different.  While the hand burning feels like it's on the outside,  the feet fire goes all through, skin, flesh, bone even.

Nothing makes my MDD seem so much better like adding more fuel to the fire(pun intended).  Any ideas what can cause that type of sensation? I know it's not diabetic nuropathy, as I get my blood checked several times a year...and my sugars are well within the normal operating range.

Not much to speculate on, do you have herniated discs, or other forms of neuropathy present?

Besides diabetes, alcohol abuse (if applicable) can also cause this, or this short list of issues you may want to get checked out by the Docs. It can actually be the onset of some rather rough conditions.

Here's a helpful link,

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/burning-feet-causes-treatments

be sure to check out "Diagnosis - Burning Feet" and see what kind of tests are performed for this discovery.

Edited by awgv001

awgv001

The only one on the list, that I know of, that I do have is the hypertension.  I have some disc issues, especially the L-5/S-1, and several higher up the spine to a lesser degree.  I have pins and needles, and electric shock type symptoms, and a hot wet sensation as well, but these have been present off and on starting shortly after boot camp.  It's the burning that is new, to me, in the feet.

I do have pes cavus w/plantar fasciitis bilateral for 30%.  And low back pain/strain at 40%, and 10% each knee for patellafemoral pain syndrome.

I've been dealing with neck issues for a few years now,  not SC, yet.   But working on it.

No hard alcohol use since mid-enlistment...either.

Thanks for the info...sometimes I feel trapped in my own mind...like a mime in an imaginary box, except that I feel that no one can see me...feels like I missed the bus, and am running after it hollering, but can't get anyone's attention, so wheels on bus go round and round...leavin me in the dust.

1 hour ago, Andyman73 said:

Thanks for the info...sometimes I feel trapped in my own mind...like a mime in an imaginary box, except that I feel that no one can see me...feels like I missed the bus, and am running after it hollering, but can't get anyone's attention, so wheels on bus go round and round...leavin me in the dust.

Not a problem, many of us that "did what we were told" in order to keep the front lines tight. It still amazes me to this day that the DoD could get away with separating me at 10% and the VA at 40%.

perhaps Berta would know more, but I wonder how the whole compensation bit works to adjust DoD records, especially with all my new evidence. (AKA - retirement benefits from being %30+DoD)

Does this (DoD ratings) only get affected during AD?

I'm actively fighting my own case from just 3 years ago, and even with all the structural improvements they have made to the separations process, they still did me a huge disservice that I have spent years trying to recover from, even with full medical summaries for the reviewers to pick and choose from.

I apologize ahead of time as I am not attempting to Hijack this thread. The mere existence of these forums seems to "fall down the rabbit hole" sometimes.

Edited by awgv001

You would think that there must be something more to it, than just a 10%, if that's what they told you rated at, but separated you anyway.

I saw something recently, and I think their ratings are more so for regular medical retirement and for retention/reenlistment qualification.  And the VA's rates are for compensation.  Or something like that.

I don't feel hijacked.  Too busy falling down my own rabbit hole to notice, anyway.

I secure-messaged my PCP about this new issue, so it will be documented in my record.