VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ankles, Scars, C&P Exams - 7/5/16

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

Exams performed by QTC.

Checked my ankles' range of movement.

No goniometer was used to check the ROM.

The examiner wanted to know the etiology/symptomology.

Next comes the facial scars/disfigurement examination.

Failed to take scar measurements and concluded the exam.

Mentioned that he saw facial scarring noted in my service medical records,

I have several, large, disfiguring scars from chronic cystic acne on my face and neck. Was diagnosed, treated, and scars noted in my service medical records.

Examiner didn't even so much as touch my skin.

The examiner left the room after telling me they were taking some pictures of my scars.

I told the person taking the pics that the examiner needs to come back and measure the scars.

The examiner came back in and I asked him, "Why didn't you measure my scars?"

He told me that the pictures will show the RO what he needs.

Without measurements of scars being done by an examiner, how can scars be properly rated?

Edited by 63Charlie

3 answers to this question

63Charlie:

You can "google"  the VA Examination Guide to get a sense of the correct way to perform a CP  examination properly is? There are a lot of horror stories about CP Examinations. Same with me, as I have several very large scars and they give me 0% on everyone of them and now they  are  being challenged as part of my NOD. Also, I have one scar that is over the top of my hip and this is where they harvested part of my hip bone to fuse my lower spine. That scar always hurts and my butt is numb below the scar but again, they gave me zero %? That said, it's not over yet and you may be fine if the scars look bad enough and the RO rules in your favor anyway-so you really can't speculate much right now? But again, they were supposed to measure the scars, otherwise you are correct that they can't really determine the compensation level? Facial Scars are treated differently and someone else will need to chime in on that one? I had a couple of bad VA CP examinations and I would recommend that you consider writing a buddy statement on your own behalf  about what happened and loading it into ebenefits, for your scars contentions and also send it to IRIS as well so the person or rater handling your case can see it and they may be sympathetic? Make sure that you just talk about the facts as they occurred during the bad  CP exam and keep it very professional citing what was done wrong according to the VA exam guide. Frankly, you lose credibility if you get too emotional and the facts are what will win the day for you. I had something similar with my back and was able to retake key CP exams which worked out for me. Secondly, if this does not work, you can get always an independent medical examination  IME but that will cost you in money and time? Unfortunately, if the CP exam were done at a VA facility you could look it up in the Blue Button part of your file. But since it's with QTC, the exam will be fairly hard to get? Tomorrow, you should send a letter to your regional office and ask for a copy of the CP exam in question. You could get it form the NPRC in  St Louis as part of your C-File but they are running a 220 days backlog right now so...the Regional Office may help..but not always so don't be too disappointed if they don't help? Also, you could ask for an appointment at the RO to see your records and while you are there, ask them to run  off  the scars CP exam for  you? All of this is a long shot ...but at least it gives your some options. For me, I'm doing it via the NOD process which may take at least 2 years but at least I'm moving forward. But as I said earlier, you may be fine already and don't really know until you see a copy of the QTC exam or get the final results? Either way,the wait is the hardest part of the whole process...but never ever give up...

Godspeed  Rootbeer22