VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Depression

Rate this question

Kelvin

Question

Good evening, I am currently going through the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Depression program (CBT). I witnessed a  boat overturning off the coast of Africa while we were patrolling for Pirates. I had the symptoms of depression for a awhile but they have come to light in January.  I asked to see someone back in January and I have been since then. I see a couselour once a week and she has me the CBT program. I have talked to my psychiatrist and he prescribed me 50mg Zoloft but its not working to me. Is my counselor  trying to steer me away from PTSD? I don't go to the beach, I don't swim anymore and I get angry at the smallest things with my wife. I answer some questions on the defensive and im always isolating myself from my wife. during my event I had a child tossed to me from a RHIB and he slipped through my hands and I seen him sink right under the ship. I then tried to help people onto the boat and locked eyes with a woman who had no energy left to hang on with and sinked. Are these signs of PTSD or just depression?I dont know if after the program do I apply for PTSD or depression cna someone tell me what I should expect?

Edited by Kelvin

I would like to thank all of you for the support and information. I had a talk with my wife and we are going to work through this from start to finish. She is my best friend and the person I love. I will continue with the CBT and hopefully I will get a dianosis soon. I feel and know depression is PTSD but I don't know if I have either or both.

On 7/6/2016 at 6:18 PM, Buck52 said:

kelvin hang in there buddy

I too have been taking the CBT , i don't understand a lot of it  but some of it I do and when you start understanding it better it will help, I drive my therapist crazy at times about  the things I don't understand and like you I keep just feeling the same way about some of the things he talks about and I tell him  I don't won't to go there and he changes things up, you need to let your therapist know about anything he mentions that you don't like or reminds you of bad things, as time goes on it will get better but certain thing will never go away, I do believe each one of us is different and having been traumatized  is what its all about   I get to thinking that and it makes me understand a little better and I focus on the things that do matter more now to me

I to feel like I want to just stay in my room and be non- social non productive and leave my poor wife to make answers for me, its hard on our spouses who try their best to understand these things

what helps me i guess more than anything is  I try to focus on what matters  and how life would be without my loving spouse.

I stopped drinking was a big help for me and we both do not smoke.

In my opinion what happen to us will always be in the back of our minds   its just that we need to focus on the other things that matter the most to us now  and hopefully over time that crap we carry in the back of our minds will be lost forever...at least that's my hope.

As for as the PTSD claim? in my opinion yes you have it   you need to see VA MH Request a PTSD Evaluation ...And they will test you ask you some questions and things about what you seen that bothers you and the night mares and flash backs  it will probably upset you   and make you sweat and nervous and yes piss you off  but its something that needs to be done for a DSM 5 PTSD Diagnose....after that you start treatment,

iF You already did this   then I'm sorry for bringing it up.

My advice to you is stay in treatment/therapy..it eventually gets better buddy.

& I agree with Vync and justrluk...good advice they mention.

Hang in there & good luck with it brother

......................Buck

Hi Buck, I went to visit my counselor today. I asked her what was being diagnosed for and she told me MDD. I was kind of shocked because I did experience a traumatic event. I have been going through some very depressing things but at the least Im getting treatment. I have seen well over 60 people float in the and a kid slip from my hands and drown. I told her today that I have been having the flashbacks in my dream and daily routines. I told that I was seeing my Psychiatrist on the 4th but then,she told me that he was leaving and I would need to find another Doctor. I was pissed at the thought nobody told me. She then told me that it maybe 3 months before I could see that Doctor. I was wanting to talk to him about getting diagnosed and see what was going on. Now im at the point of just throwing my hands up with this Therapy and the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't do that

GO to your VAMC MH Dept  request to see a LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker), and let them know your have problems with things & request a PTSD Evaulation..they should make time to see you on that same day  or as soon as a social worker gets free.

Tell them how you feel  the things you think about  even  suicide In  how you feel at night  talk about your night mares and sweats, tell them how your treating your wife verbally &how you just want to say by your self in your room and let your wife handle everything....let them know about what you think about a lot  like the people you seen in the water and the child that slipped through your hands and fell in the water an drown...let them know all about these things  even if you get emotional   they expect that  because that traumatized you and this could be or is the reason your like you are today..a  DIAGNOSE of  DSM 5 PTSD Unspecific Depressive Disorders   Just be honest and let them know when and where this happen or close to the dates  your in service records should prove that   DD-214. & UNIT Morning Reports, you need these to file a claim...but keep seeking treatment and counseling.   

The LCSW should get things started for you, it maybe a while for you to see a physiatrist  but they usually provide medications, the therapist LCSW are who you need to be seeing.

Let them know what all has been happening to you and your not sure but you keep having nightmares about what happen in your prior military service.

Good Luck Buddy.

..............Buck

On 7/11/2016 at 7:15 PM, Buck52 said:

Don't do that

GO to your VAMC MH Dept  request to see a LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker), and let them know your have problems with things & request a PTSD Evaulation..they should make time to see you on that same day  or as soon as a social worker gets free.

Tell them how you feel  the things you think about  even  suicide In  how you feel at night  talk about your night mares and sweats, tell them how your treating your wife verbally &how you just want to say by your self in your room and let your wife handle everything....let them know about what you think about a lot  like the people you seen in the water and the child that slipped through your hands and fell in the water an drown...let them know all about these things  even if you get emotional   they expect that  because that traumatized you and this could be or is the reason your like you are today..a  DIAGNOSE of  DSM 5 PTSD Unspecific Depressive Disorders   Just be honest and let them know when and where this happen or close to the dates  your in service records should prove that   DD-214. & UNIT Morning Reports, you need these to file a claim...but keep seeking treatment and counseling.   

The LCSW should get things started for you, it maybe a while for you to see a physiatrist  but they usually provide medications, the therapist LCSW are who you need to be seeing.

Let them know what all has been happening to you and your not sure but you keep having nightmares about what happen in your prior military service.

Good Luck Buddy.

..............Buck

Hi Buck, I guess im on the right path now. I emailed the nurse on the secure message post about my concerns. She told me that my Doctor said he believes that he did diagnose me with PTSD. My counselor was treating for Depression, She was doing a great job but that is one of the problems im having. The nurse said that I can be only given one mood disorder.