VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting ready to file for SSDI. 100%VA. Thinking about lawyer first time.?

Rate this question

mav2u

Question

Got my 100%VA disability back in 2013.  Didn't know I could file for SSDI or even what is was in the meaning I could qualify for it.  Heard about it last year and finally getting myself motivated and leaving the notes to myself to get it done so I don't forget.

I guess I just have some questions based on my situation and what to expect in the SSDI process.

I don't have the ability to stay on top of getting stuff done so I'm going to choose a lawyer that specializes in doing SSDI as it should be a easy process that they have down to a T by now at the law firm.  At the same time I don't trust anyone so what things should I look out for if a lawyer isn't doing their job?  Either they are looking to drag the process out to get more money or just not doing it in a correct manner.  Just don't know what to expect and when to call bullshit on them.

Since I'm already Medically Discharged from the military in 2003 and started with 30% and worked my way to getting 100% after a long arduous battle,  I finally received 100% in  2013 after fighting forever by myself. How easy do you think my SSDI process will be?  I'd think it should be a same day turn around but that is in a dream reality with a yellow brick road I"m sure!  lol...  But, I'd think it would be pretty slam dunk as far as approval first time around especially if I used a competent lawyer? Yes?!  Isn't there the military expedited form process or something now?  I just don't have the energy to do exams or hustle around gathering letters, signatures, and stories anymore.  I'll do it, just makes me cringe at the thought again of doing it. 

I haven't worked in so long I don't think that would even be a consideration do you?  Last worked part time from July 2012 to March 2013 but had to triple my medications to be able to work so I wouldn't be homeless after my wife divorced me and left me with nothing but debt.  Most miserable time ever working a shitty job for the county but thankfully another vet was the manager who hired me despite my disabilities to help me out and gave me the easiest work they could while I waited for my appeal with the VA.  Before that I didn't work a real job since Sept. 2008 that I worked for friends who again gave me fairly easy work at their company.

I guess the questions are:

• What kind of lawyer should I look for and how easy should their job be to get me SSDI first try?
  • Should I expect to have an exam since I have 15 years of VA records, hardly and work history,  and treatment with no cure in the future or improvement ever expected.  Just continued worsening in pain and mental challenges expected till the day I die.
  • Do I have to pay for anything if I use a lawyer to do my SSDI?
  • What paperwork, Doctor letters, and ect..  will ensure a flawless judgment to get a immediate approval of SSDI?
  • What time frame to get SSDI approved if all conditions are going good these days?  Do Vets get expedited review now?

Thanks everyone.  Hopefully it all makes sense.  I tried not to ramble on!

Now that your Social Security has been denied, its almost a no brainer that you need an attorney to appeal it.  

And, it sounds like you are not even sure as to what criteria you should use to evaluate your attorney!  

I like to use "results" as the main criteria.  

Yes, there are reviews on law firms, but they are not always easy to find.  

You first choice would be to decide whether to use a national law firm or go local.  And, of course, you want to decide if you will stay with your present lawyer.  

If you hired this law firm on a contingency bases, and you fire them at this point, then you should not owe him anything.  

However, I think you need to use the 5 p's (Proper Preperation Prevents Poor Performance) when hiring your law firm, and this increases your chance of a favorable result.  

You could start with a place like AVVO who lets consumers rate law firms.

https://www.avvo.com/social-security-lawyer/oh.html

I would not limit your search, however.  The better job you do picking a great attorney, the better result you are likely to get.  

The best reference would likely be a person YOU trust, such as your accountant, your banker, your insurance agent, or even your lawyer, maybe the one that did your will, that does not do social security.  

I would also look for attorneys who share your beleif system, as you are less likely to have political related disputes.  For example, if you are a christian, there are websites where you can find businesses who share your beliefs, such as the Christian blue pages or christian attorney directory.  

If you take your time, and do a good job and ask a lot of questions, you are likely to get a much better result than by calling the lawyer on your favortie tv show.  

http://www.neighborhoodchristianlawyer.com/