VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Choosing a preferred VA treatment facility

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

My question is who determines your choice for preferred VA treatment facility (your primary VA treatment facility)?

I have been treated at a single VA Treatment facility in NC since 2006. I have property in NC and FL. I have been using my FL residence until the residential construction is completed on the NC property. Prior to this I rented in NC. 

My primary provider transferred so I was assigned a new physician a couple of months ago. It was going fine until his screening nurse noticed I had a temp address in FL. At that point she asked if that was temporary. I explained as above. The treatment stopped and right quick.

I was told by her my treatment was restricted to: "urgent/emergencies".

I had assumed this was merely a mask to push me off an opioid prescription (since 2008). I acquiesced that point but they continued their unilateral and abrupt virtual refusal to continue my treatment there.

Is their refusal to continue my treatment at my designated preferred VA facility in fact within the scope of the nurse's/provider's authority?

I won't bother with what that means to tell a person to tough luck, see ya, after receiving an opioid prescription for a SC disability (reconciled by Neurology consult).

PS: if this is the incorrect forum please move.

Edited by cannoncocker
PS

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
8 hours ago, Chuck75 said:

The real problem with ""choice" from the provider's side is getting paid. The VA is failing to do so in any sort of reasonable manner.

You're right about that. I visited my non-VA doc yesterday and they said they do not participate in Medicare fully like the choice program requires. However, if I were with Medicare, they said I could pay cash for treatment and then they would file for reimbursement. Apparently every couple of months Medicare adjusts payout rates and many doctors do not work for peanuts.

What I don't understand is why should we have to register in each location? Is this not a nation wide organization, I know the Doctors can see all of your medical records from every facility you have been treated at. Well I had to tell my current doc how to find what I was talking about. This is just more of their bull dookie to give us the run around. I tried as a walking to transfer from Reno to Las Vegas and the lady I was talking to had no clue what I was talking about. I went and sat in a chair called them got a very polite young man and not only got transferred but got an appointment for that day. I know miracle right.