VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What's your opinion, light at the end of the tunnel or not?

Rate this question

Bigkevo44

Question

I finally received a hard copy of my recent C&P exam. I had to travel to the actual VAMC in DC to retrieve it even though I submitted a paper request about a month ago. Anyway, here are the results… Please tell me what you think my chances of receiving a favorable rating are. My claim was remanded back to the VARO by the BVA for further development and a C&P exam. Here are the results…

ICD code: 309.28 (F43.23)

Mental Disorder: Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood

Under #3 Occupational and social impairment
[X] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity is checked

For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that apply to the Veteran’s diagnosis:

[X] Depressed mood
[X] Anxiety
[X] Suspiciousness
[X] Chronic sleep impairment
[X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events
[X] Impaired judgement
[X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining work and social relationships
[X} Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances including work or a work like setting
[X] Impaired impulse control such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence

Remarks: The diagnosis obtained was based on the criteria contained in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders -5 (DSM-5)

TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR DIRECT SERVICE CONNECTION ]

a.       The condition claimed was at least as likely as not (50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event or illness.

b.       Based on this examination and veteran’s current symptoms described in the examination report, the veteran meets diagnostic criteria for Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood (with alcohol use) as outlined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5 (DSM-5). Therefore, the current diagnosis is at least as likely as not related to the veteran’s fear of being deployed to the Gulf War during his Active Reserve Duty Training in 1990.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

I am confused because your past post indicated you were diagnosed with bi polar and depression that I thought you had claimed due to being at Camp LeJeune during the water contamination period.

You were in the Reserves from 1986 to 1994.

Was your ‘fear of’ deployment to the Gulf based on past deployments you had

............to the Gulf?

Edited by Berta

Thanks for responding Berta,

Quite honestly I am a little confused too. During my C&P exam, my main point of contention was that I suffered Neurobehavioral effects from consuming contaminated drinking water while at stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC back in 1986. I did mention to the doctor that back in 1990 During the Gulf War and while attached to an IRR unit, I feared that I would be deployed to fight in Afghanistan. However, this point was secondary to the Lejeune issue. Here is what she wrote…

“Veteran also reported that he was stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1986 for training. A correspondence statement in the veteran’s medical records indicate that he was stationed in the Warehouse Unit (3051) for training (ACDUTRA). As a result, he reported that he qualified for the Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012. Veteran reported that he suffers from Neurobehavioral Effects.” Veterans mental health symptoms started approximately nine years after he was stationed at Camp Lejeune. While medical records indicate treatment for a mental disorder, no evidence is provided supporting a causal link between the veteran’s mental disorder and exposure to contaminated water while stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1986. Veteran’s medical records have been reviewed and an opinion cannot be rendered without resorting to speculation regarding whether the veteran’s mental health symptoms are related to being stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1986.

The problem is that there are not a lot of evidence linking the contaminated water to Mental Health Conditions. I actually studied about the Camp Lejeune water in college a few years ago. No studies that I know of, where actually able to connect the two together number 1.  Number 2, you had no time in War, therefore the VA is looking for Documented Stressors to link to Mental Health Issues too, rather then Generic Adjustment Disorder, which Basically the VA or Civilian Docs assign as a Way of saying that no Official Diagnosed Condition. IMHO alot of Vets are lucky to get the Adjustment Disorder Diagnoses, as most Vets that get Service Connection for this, most likely would not get it for PTSD or other Mental Health Issues. What exactly are you seeking or asking us bud?  Good luck and keep us posted

• HadIt.com Elder

I think he can get this Service Connected   once service connected he can go from there   what ever disease that he has can be connected to the camp Lejeune water contamination as secondary, PTSD usually the veteran needs a stressor as Navy04 pointed out,I don't think they will use ''fear of being deployed''?...if you were not actually in an  enemy hostile area. but they could be other stressors that happen when you are in the military.

also depression there could be some secondary claims there also, depression can be linked to other contentions, the thing is   you need medical documentation.

Request all your STR's & C-File and review them closely.

“Veteran also reported that he was stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1986 for training. A correspondence statement in the veteran’s medical records indicate that he was stationed in the Warehouse Unit (3051) for training (ACDUTRA). As a result, he reported that he qualified for the Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012. Veteran reported that he suffers from Neurobehavioral Effects.” Veterans mental health symptoms started approximately nine years after he was stationed at Camp Lejeune. While medical records indicate treatment for a mental disorder, no evidence is provided supporting a causal link between the veteran’s mental disorder and exposure to contaminated water while stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1986 ''

This C&P Examiner is right unfortunately.

'It would be hard to ''  rendered without resorting to speculation regarding whether the veteran’s mental health symptoms are related to being stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1986.''

What contentions were you claiming? was it PTSD? or Depression? & Why  

• HadIt.com Elder

Although Neurobehavioral Effects Have two major primary categories   here is a run down.

Characterization of Neurobehavioral Effects - Review of VA Clinical ...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ... › Bookshelf
National Center for Biotechnology Information
Neurobehavioral difficulties involve two primary categories: cognitive decline, including memory problems and dementia; and neuropsychiatric disorders, including neurasthenia (a collection of symptoms including difficulty concentrating, headache, insomnia, and fatigue), depression, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), ...

Edited by Buck52