VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What's your opinion, light at the end of the tunnel or not?

Rate this question

Bigkevo44

Question

I finally received a hard copy of my recent C&P exam. I had to travel to the actual VAMC in DC to retrieve it even though I submitted a paper request about a month ago. Anyway, here are the results… Please tell me what you think my chances of receiving a favorable rating are. My claim was remanded back to the VARO by the BVA for further development and a C&P exam. Here are the results…

ICD code: 309.28 (F43.23)

Mental Disorder: Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood

Under #3 Occupational and social impairment
[X] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity is checked

For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that apply to the Veteran’s diagnosis:

[X] Depressed mood
[X] Anxiety
[X] Suspiciousness
[X] Chronic sleep impairment
[X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events
[X] Impaired judgement
[X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining work and social relationships
[X} Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances including work or a work like setting
[X] Impaired impulse control such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence

Remarks: The diagnosis obtained was based on the criteria contained in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders -5 (DSM-5)

TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR DIRECT SERVICE CONNECTION ]

a.       The condition claimed was at least as likely as not (50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event or illness.

b.       Based on this examination and veteran’s current symptoms described in the examination report, the veteran meets diagnostic criteria for Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood (with alcohol use) as outlined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5 (DSM-5). Therefore, the current diagnosis is at least as likely as not related to the veteran’s fear of being deployed to the Gulf War during his Active Reserve Duty Training in 1990.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Yes, I think you all may have hit upon something with your evaluation of my situation. In fact the Training Letter 11-03 actually refers to the need for a nexus letter from an IMO.

Quote: "If the examiner determines that it is at least as likely as not that the claimed condition resulted from exposure to the known water contaminants, service connection can be granted and a disability percentage assigned based on the examiners assessment of symptom severity. 

The good news is that my private psychiatrist has agreed to prepare a professional opinion nexus letter for me on yesterday during my appointment. I was sure to provide articles, my statement, VA medical records and the TL 11-03 for his usage. I also made him aware that there needs to be a strong rational for his opinion since the VA requires it. He said it will be ready in a week...

Thanks for all the great advice.