VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Terry-will This Help?

Berta

Question

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPub....asp?pub_ID=316

This is one of the most recent directives, per NVLSP, on Va nursing home care and eligibility.

Also the VA has a CNHC program in which they pay for contractual public or private care.

This is a veterans community- we have 3 of these CNHC homes within 7-8 miles of my house- about 25 miles from the VAMC.

Our local VA Nursing home is very nice but it seems most patients there are restricted to the VA grounds.

Not by law- by either their disability or it is hard sometimes to get a taxi into the town.Actually there are many things that a mobile nursing home vet can do there-there is movie theatre, post office, and canteen close at hand-

It appears to me that this is the requrement (from NVLSP) page 694:

Nursing home care is required to be provided by VA for " any veteran in need of nursing home care for a service connected disability,and and veteran with a combined service connected rating of 70 or more who is in need of nursing home care."

If space and resources allow- some other vets might be eligible under 38 USC 1710 (a)(2)

That reg does not seem to limit care solely due to direct service connected nursing home needs- but only to having any service connection at combined rating of 70%. Howevere there are other requirements too-

The Community based Nursing homes in this area are real homes, with professional care providers, and

provide homecooked meals, and a more home- based environment.

I have been in them and they are all really nice and have an upbeat atmosphere.

Many of the vets there can walk to a local store, post office, and to a library in each town.

Still there are no buses or taxis around these parts so that restricts where they can go.

One of them -I heard many times on the police scanner- walks all the way to Bath NY-20 miles away.He is in his late 60s and this is quite a walk.

The police just go into village of Bath- they all know him and ask him if he needs a ride back to the home.

Have you talked to the Patient's rep at the closest VAMC?

Is there a nursing home VA or private -paid for by VA- in your locale?

There are other other requirements as to admission into VA nursing homes-do you have the VBM ? lots of info there-

NVLSP refers on page 297- to this other directive for the additional updated information:

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPub...asp?pub_ID=1394

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

our va nursing home is right on the outside of the town off the highway where taxis charge quite a bit to get to and from. I think they have a special bus though that takes some of them into town if they dont have there own car. The only bad thing about the va home here is the waiting list to be in it. I dont think they have enough help or rooms in that facility. It is connected though to a small va clinic which is good for their medical care. Also the VA reps office is in the clinic so the VSO's go to the va home next door and talk to the vets that live there if they have a claim that way they dont even have to leave the home.