VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Exposure Symptoms

Rate this question

VietnamVetSis

Question

Getting ready to file a new claim for Agent Orange symptoms for my Vietnam Vet brother who was on the ground as USMC rifleman for 9 months, until he was WIA by a grenade booby trap.   He was found to have hypertension and his USMC ENTRY physical showed him ineligible to serve -- then they gave him 3 more blood pressure tests and someone scratched threw the 'hypertension' and said ELIGIBLE to serve.   His USMC exit physical after recovering from his wounds in 1970 also showed hypertension.   In 2008, a physical showed hypertension, along with abnormal EKG with doctor's notes indicating cardio infarction and possible A-fib.  I just had a private doctor give him a physical last week and he's diagnosed again with hypertension, and EKG abnormalities, with a referral to a cardiologist.   I am still waiting for a copy of his C&P physical exam from April.   Is this enough to claim IHD?   There is no time limit (from date of discharge) to file for IHD from Agent Orange right ?  Also awaiting blood work / diabetes screening and Diabetes Type II claim may be in order as well.  Any suggestions / guidance is greatly appreciated. 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

"Is this enough to claim IHD?   There is no time limit (from date of discharge) to file for IHD from Agent Orange right ?  "

"I just had a private doctor give him a physical last week and he's diagnosed again with hypertension, and EKG abnormalities, with a referral to a cardiologist. "

If the cardio doc diagnoses him with IHD, make sure you send VA with the IHD claim, the results of the Cardio testing.The cardio doc might give him an ECHO and that could reveal ischemic heart disease.

Was the Hypertension formally claimed? It appears that he does have a good service nexus to the HBP.

Thank you for responding Berta - I know you have great knowledge with this.    IHD, Diabetes II, and hypertension were included in his 'statement' in last claim.   VA said it was not on a prescribed form, and they considered it a 'request for application'.   Also said if he wants to file a claim for those conditions, complete 21-526 EZ.      

I can't find anything to show where VA recognizes hypertension linked to Agent Orange exposure.  I saw where they studied it but still haven't added it to the list of 15 presumptive conditions.   Is hypertension as a stand-alone symptom claimable and/or can it be attributed as an IHD symptom without a formal IHD diagnosis ?   Cardio doc tests will obviously reveal more -- would just like to know in the interim so I can formally send in claim now with documentation to follow. 

No , HBP is not associated with AO exposure.

However it appears that he had HBP inservice so that might be a strong direct service connected claim.

Both the IHD and the DMII will need a formal diagnosis. Since he was incountry-Vietnam, they would be considered presumptive AO disabilties.

Is hypertension as a stand-alone symptom claimable and/or can it be attributed as an IHD symptom without a formal IHD diagnosis ? "

I hope some of my older posts here on AO and my claims did not confuse you.

VA did not diagnose or treat IHD or DMII during my husband's lifetime.They awarded them ,however.

But that was because of proven VA negligence/malpractice.

The evidence was within his VA med recs.I diagnosed him posthumously with IHD in 1995 ,before the VA did,in 2012.And in 2003 I had enough evidence to file the DMII claim.Dr.Bash concurred with the evidence I presented to him for 2 IMOs.

His HBP was awarded as well under 1151.No HBP in service, but Dxed by VA and treated with inappropriate meds.

In your brother's case ,as I recall, he has not had much medical care for years....I might be wrong...

so the VA will need evidence that he has HBP (those med recs from the Military will be good evidence that the cardio doctor might be able to bolster, that he had HBP in service, and it is the same etiology of the HBP he had now) and he will definitely need a diagnosis of IHD ( They might call it CAD ,but if it is due to cardiac ischemia , the cardio doctor can determine that with testing.)

HBP has many etiologies (causes).So does heart disease.

But I think most heart disease is, in fact, ischemic, and the cardio doctor will be able to identify what type of heart disease he has.

Edited by Berta

Ok thank you.   Understand it now.   You are right - no medical care ever for my brother but that's changing now.  I applied and VA Medical Center in DC has accepted him and he is now lined up for a physical appointment in September , and I am trying to coordinate the Agent Orange [free] exam as well ...   Just didn't want to wait so long to get him to a doctor and I was right based on their findings last week.   Going back tomorrow to show dr the previous EKG they want to see to compare and make follow up for the hypertension, and cardio, etc.  

I think I will go ahead and file for hypertension right now, since there is that evidence showing he had it when he was inducted.   I will mention Agent Orange exposure as well in the event the VA does come out with hypertension as another presumptive ... still a novice here but it appears because of the Nehmer case they would have to go back and approve the claim with payment retro to date of claim so I'm better off filing now and substantiate later with more medical diagnosis (IHD and Diabetes II if they come to fruition) from doctors.  

I've got a psychologist and former C&P examiner looking at a possible service connected nexus for PTSD and Schizophrenia which the VA denied in May.   They also found him incompetent so they're holding up retro disability payments until they decide on fiduciary (which I've volunteered to be).   Of course on his eBenefits, the VA estimated completion date for fiduciary appointment is 2018-2019 !!!  Absurd.

Thanks again Berta -- this is all so daunting.