VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

review of evidence

Rate this topic

cchelly1

i filed my claim 1 april 2016. had 3 c&p exams by june 6 and my claim is now sitting at review of evidence. How long is this process. I am currently on terminal leave with a retirement date of 1 Oct

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 7/31/2016 at 9:01 AM, cchelly1 said:

i filed my claim 1 april 2016. had 3 c&p exams by june 6 and my claim is now sitting at review of evidence. How long is this process. I am currently on terminal leave with a retirement date of 1 Oct

It is difficult to say with any certainty due to factors like # of claimed conditions, rater caseload, etc...

I wish you the best of luck on your claims!

cchelley1:

This is the $64.00 question (back to the old TV guessing shows of the 1960's) that all vets want to know that have claims pending. Generally, if you put in your disability claims package while you are still in the military and have excellent evidence, it should only take a few months to a year? The problem is that each and every case is so very unique as well as the evidence and CP exams that you may have? Also, there are just too many variables to put an accurate timeline against disability claims to determine any kind of pattern and when you would get your final rating decision? Also, many vets sign-up and rely on ebennefits which is a very good but not great website? It's usually not updated regularly and if you are an impatient person then it can drive you crazy. Also, the various stages of gathering evidence and then reviewing that same evidence may go back and forth several times. That said, you want to check it to see if you owe any thing to the VBA that may hold up your case for any reason? If you see something wrong or missing then you can use IRIS to send the VBA an email which also gives you a record of the request or call the 1800 number.  Also, even is you get very frustrated at times, try to be very nice to everyone that you speak to and work with at the VA.  Frankly, they are people just like us trying to do their jobs and most can't expedite your claims, but do provide valuable information sometimes.  Also one bit of advice, I learned that the easier you make it for a VBA rater to make a positive decision for you, the better it is for your rating outcome. Strong evidence and a link to the injury in service and that it's is still a chronic condition now establishes the "nexus" and  is the key to success. Most of these VBA  raters just try to follow the rules and the laws as they know them? But keep in mind that the VA is a very large and complex organization and this is a long journey for most Vets. Rarely, does anyone get the rating results that they think they should have in the first round? It may take many rounds and several years to get what you think is fair but again excellent "evidence" drives success as well as using forums like hadit.com to be educated. But the hardest part of the entire process is waiting and then waiting again some more. I personally have very little patience but this process has taught me to be much more patient. But again two service members with very similar disability claims can submit their disability claims at the same time to the same regional office and the final outcome and timelines can be very different?  Once you've submitted your claim, try to check it about once a week at find something to do with your time to be distracted. During this time period, I decided to learn everything  I could about my own contentions, especially if any part of my claim was subsequently denied or law-balled during the ratings process by going to the hadit.com and asknod.com forums. In this case, I learned a lot about appeals and the Notice of Disagreement (NOD) process and am appealing a few things from my original claim now--so the time was well spent...

But in the end...you just have to wait...and be patient...

Good-luck and Godspeed, Rootbeer22

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use