VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting SC'd for Migraines

Rate this question

Rakkasan

Question

I am already rated 70% for PTSD and have been having migraines for the past 6 years before I had gotten out. Actually I started getting them about 6 months after I received PRK eye surgery in the military but I was only getting them once every 2-3 months. I never reported them because I figured they were just migraines every few months. They have slowly began to increase and now I get about 2-3 really rough ones a month. I scheduled an appointment with the VA physician who prescribed me Relpax. With her prescribed medication, would I have enough to submit a claim for migraines or should I try to go for it as a secondary to PTSD? Would appreciate all information and guidance!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
12 hours ago, Rakkasan said:

I am already rated 70% for PTSD and have been having migraines for the past 6 years before I had gotten out. Actually I started getting them about 6 months after I received PRK eye surgery in the military but I was only getting them once every 2-3 months. I never reported them because I figured they were just migraines every few months. They have slowly began to increase and now I get about 2-3 really rough ones a month. I scheduled an appointment with the VA physician who prescribed me Relpax. With her prescribed medication, would I have enough to submit a claim for migraines or should I try to go for it as a secondary to PTSD? Would appreciate all information and guidance!

Talk with your doctors and see what they think. If you can get them to write you a nexus as secondary to PTSD or PRK then that would help. The PRK surgery sounds plausible. However, so does PTSD because many with it grind their teeth/bruxism and it can cause headaches too.

You definately did not help yourself by not seeking treatement in the military.  

However, these 3 things (2 for secondary) will get you service connection:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  In service event or aggravation.

3. Nexus, or doctors statement, linking one and two, above.

In the example of Secondary service connection, you dont need an in service event, because you already have that with the primary service connected condition.  Instead, you need only a current diagnosis, and a docs statement that your "service connected condition at least as likely as not" caused your migraines. 

You can/should file for both:  direct service connection AND Secondary to PTSD.    However, I think the VA has to consider all theories of service connection:  Primary, Secondary, Presumptive.    Dont count on the VA doing their job, tho, considering all, and leave that to chance.  It could cause a 5 year or more delay in benefits, which is VA's second favorite after denial.  

I have TBI and Migraines due to multiple Concussions while Active. I was diagnosed thru the VA with multiple Brain Scans. Since you did not receive a Diagnoses in service, you need a current VA Diagnoses and there are multiple kinds of tests that can be performed to verify the migraine issues. Nothing speaks more then Hard Medical evidence when it comes to the VA. Good luck and keep us posted bud. God Bless