VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Plantar fasciitis and arthritis seperate or pyramid?

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

Hello,

Anyone know if (same foot) plantar fasciitis and arthritis seperate or if it would be pyramiding?

Looks like I may be service connected (secondary) for arthritis for my right foot.  Which is usually 10%.  I am already 10% for plantar fasciitis.

Doing some research, but havent found it yet,

Thanks,

Hamslice

cliff,

I believe I was rated for pain.

In myHealthyvet it is under  ICD-9-CM 719.47

In my August 2009 decision, REASONS FOR DECISION, it states;

"An evaluation of 10 percent is assigned for findings of plantar fasciitis with complaints of foot pain with ambulation."

FWIW, I had a LOD from when the injury occurred while running up hills during PT.  And treatment records while on active duty.  Both civilian and military.

Anyway, thats how I got it,

Hamslice,

If I can help more, let me know..

Well here is more towards the original post and paramiding, This is what was referred, along with my left ankle.  Really need my left ankle rated at at least 10% so I can get the bilateral math help to get to 90.

Anyway,

"Please provide the following clarification: VA examination findings from VA Medical Center Iron Mountain, dated June 22, 2016 show that the examiner noted diagnosis of left Achilles tendinitis on foot and ankle examination. Also, imaging studies involving the right ankle indicate findings of right calcaneal spur with calcification of insertion of Achilles tendon. However, no diagnosis of the veteran's right ankle is shown. A review of ankle examination findings show that the examiner noted range of motion of the veteran's to demonstrate full range of motion. However, the examiner made no comment or assessment with regard to objective pain on motion with range of motion findings on examination. VA examination addendum from VA Medical Center Iron Mountain, dated August 1, 2016 show that the examiner provided a medical opinion stating that the veteran's right ankle condition is at least as likely as not the result of or aggravated by the veteran's service connected right foot plantar fasciitis. However, a review of the aforementioned examination findings note no current clinical right ankle diagnosis. Please review the aforementioned VA examination. Please clarify as to whether evidence supports a current diagnosis of a right ankle disorder. If so, please provide a diagnosis. If the evidence does not support a current diagnosis of a right ankle disorder, please so state. Please clarify as to whether there is objective pain on motion with regard to range of motion of the veteran's ankles. Also, please clarify as to whether the veteran's right Achilles tendon condition is a condition separate and distinct disability apart from right plantar fasciitis."

RESPONSE: However, no diagnosis of the veteran's right ankle is shown.

1. Diagnosis is right achilles tendonitis M76.61

A review of ankle examination findings show that the examiner noted range of motion of the veteran's to demonstrate full range of motion. However, the examiner made no comment or assessment with regard to objective pain on motion with range of motion findings on examination.

2. Right ankle examination was normal, as was stated. ----------- [X] All Normal [ ] Abnormal or outside of normal range [ ] Unable to test (please explain) [ ] Not indicated (please explain) Dorsiflexion (0-20): 0 to 20 degrees Plantar Flexion (0-45): 0 to 45 degrees Is there evidence of pain with weight bearing? [ ] Yes [X] No Is there objective evidence of localized tenderness or pain on palpation of the joint or associated soft tissue? [ ] Yes [X] No Is there objective evidence of crepitus? [ ] Yes [X] No Also, please clarify as to whether the veteran's right Achilles tendon condition is a condition separate and distinct disability apart from right plantar fasciitis.

Also, please clarify as to whether the veteran's right Achilles tendon condition is a condition separate and distinct disability apart from right plantar fasciitis.

3.Plantar fasciitis, a foot condition, is swelling and inflammation of the band of tissue that connects the heel bone to the toes, and can cause heel and sole pain. The Achilles tendon attaches the calf muscles to the heel. Achilles tendinitis, or tendinopathy, is an ankle conditon, caused by degenerative changes of the Achilles tendon that can manifest as swelling and inflammation, and can cause ankle and heel pain. They are separate conditions that may have similar symptoms.

So, from what I see, they examiner was to opine the difference between plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis. And I believe she did it.

Now, well see if they are rated separate or together, plantar vs Achilles,

Hamslice

Broncovet,

I'm going to start with a NOD, since I just got denial for plantar faciitis and a couple of other things.

Thanks for the info, I see that this could take a while to get the results I want.   

Cliff,

If you have plantar fasciitis in your SMR, and you made a claim, and the examiner noted that you have it, and connected it to your SMR, what reason did they give for the denial?

I have pes cavus w/plantar fasciitis bilateral rated at 30%.  I was getting Podiatric care from my VAMC off and on since 2005.  I filed a claim last summer and it was granted easy peasy lemon squeazy.  However a short time later I received my C-file and found that I had filed a claim for foot condition to include the PF and it was not decided, even tho the examiner found same issues back in '06 as in '15.  Got a tasty EED for that one!

Semper Fi

Andyman73,

The examiner at my discharge physical didn't write me a good report.  I'm currently working on a CUE claim for what I was denied for and I'm going to find me a private podiatrist to go see.  This time I'm going to make sure I have a NEXUS and get everything documented.