VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Plantar fasciitis and arthritis seperate or pyramid?

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

Hello,

Anyone know if (same foot) plantar fasciitis and arthritis seperate or if it would be pyramiding?

Looks like I may be service connected (secondary) for arthritis for my right foot.  Which is usually 10%.  I am already 10% for plantar fasciitis.

Doing some research, but havent found it yet,

Thanks,

Hamslice

On 9/5/2016 at 2:42 PM, Cliff757 said:

Andyman73,

The examiner at my discharge physical didn't write me a good report.  I'm currently working on a CUE claim for what I was denied for and I'm going to find me a private podiatrist to go see.  This time I'm going to make sure I have a NEXUS and get everything documented.   

Cliff,

Have you been getting regular treatment at your VAMC? That was the only place, besides AD medical treatment, that I ever got treated for my feet.  I recently had an EED of over 9 years awarded due to the RO not adjudicating my claim from Feb '06.

What reasons did they give for your denial?

On 9/1/2016 at 3:21 PM, Andyman73 said:

Cliff,

If you have plantar fasciitis in your SMR, and you made a claim, and the examiner noted that you have it, and connected it to your SMR, what reason did they give for the denial?

I have pes cavus w/plantar fasciitis bilateral rated at 30%.  I was getting Podiatric care from my VAMC off and on since 2005.  I filed a claim last summer and it was granted easy peasy lemon squeazy.  However a short time later I received my C-file and found that I had filed a claim for foot condition to include the PF and it was not decided, even tho the examiner found same issues back in '06 as in '15.  Got a tasty EED for that one!

Semper Fi

What did you do to get the EED?  Did you appeal the decision and ask for an EED?

I had orders my C-file prior to my C&P exam for my feet.  I got it before the feet claim had been decided.  I read over each of the 1,090 pages over the next week or two.

Nothing jumped out at that time. But after getting the decision letter, something was just nagging at the edge of my mind.  

I went back into my C-file, took a few hours to find it. The claim for my feet 9 years earlier that was not decided. The findings of that exam were nearly identical  and referenced the same SMR entry.

Right away I started writing up my NOD and sent it off.  I sent a copy of both exams and pointed out the obvious error of the earlier exam, of not adjudicating the claim. No more and no less. I told them that it was clear that the same exam results equal same outcome. And that not deciding the earlier claim greatly effected my life in a negative fashion, they must make it right.

A few weeks later I got a letter asking if I have any other evidence to submit.  I realize it may just be standard procedure, but boy was my blood boiling!  I wrote back that I already submitted all evidence, and that it is as clear as day to any simple layman. 

I told them that this isn't an issue that needs more evidence, and their decision letter from 2006 is the proof of their error.

Still took a year from start to finish.

syne7,

Yep, that is exactly what happened. I wrote them in Feb '06, had C&P that April,  for all of my SCDs and my feet. The exam found same as the 2015 exam did, and noted the same SMR treatment entries.

Got the decision letter which covered only my current SCDs and not one word about my feet. 

And not knowing nothing about nothing, I had no clue what to do, such as NODs and such. So...time just went on by.

Syne7,

I filed a claim back in 2009 once I retired, they denied me.  My discharge physical report claimed it wasn't severe.  I didn't appeal or anything.  Once I retied I went to the Va. hospital on several occasions for my feet got insoles made and had everything documented in my records.  I just submitted another claim for plantar fasciitis, and it too was denied, but this time I have more documentation, and I going to a private podiatrist and I'm going to file a NOD