VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Decision on SMC (s)

Rate this question

philco

Question

As of June, my husband received a packet from the VA with his disabilities now reading:  

coronary artery disease and bypass graft surgery times three 100% Service Connected

Agent Orange - Vietnam

02/04/2016

pulmonary hypertension 

10% Service Connected 02/04/2016

scar(s) status post coronary artery bypass surgery 

0% Service Connected 09/30/2015

bilateral hearing loss 0% Service Connected 09/29/2011

prostatitis Not Service Connected

posttraumatic stress disorder 50% Service Connected

PTSD

PTSD - Combat

12/05/2007

erectile dysfunction 

0% Service Connected 04/11/2013

tinnitus 10% Service Connected 09/29/2011

It also showed that a second claim had been filed (not by us) for pulmonary hypertension.

Yesterday we received the following Award Amount & Payment Start Date:  $3518.97, March 1, 2016, Compensation Rating Adjustment, Special Monthly Compensation Adjustment.  It states that "a clear and unmistakable error is found in the evaluation of pulmonary hypertension and an increased evaluation of 100% is established from February 5, 2016.  We assigned a permanent 100% disability evaluation for your service connected disability effective February 5, 2016.  No examination will be scheduled in the future for your permanent and total disability/disabilities.  Your overall or combined rating is 100%."   This sounds good but where does that leave the heart condition that was rated 100% in June - at that time, it was not considered a permanent rating with the possibility of another examination in September.  I guess my question is whether the hypertension rating will stay permanent even if they change the decision on his heart.  Confusing?  I'm sorry but we're not sure if we can now rely on the assigned monthly payment.  If so, my husband is a very blessed person.

1 answer to this question

Based on what you posted, this sounds like great news.  I saw nothing that any of your previous service connected disabilities were reduced or eliminated, but that you were awarded another 100 percent and SMC S.  

Congratulations!!

If you OR your husband needs Aid and Attendance, then you can consider appealing and asking for A and A.  Generally this means you OR your husband needs assistance with daily activities.  I have no idea if you qualify for a and a or not.