VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why does the VA ask for another med opinion for one condition but not another?

Rate this question

emc77

Question

Hello all, I'd really like your input on my case.  I'm trying to find out why the VA seeks a follow up medical opionion for one condition but not another.

A brief history of my case is as follows:

1. Initially filed in Nov 2011 and submitted two IMO's about my back in early 2013
2. VA exams in Aug 2013 for back and audio
3. Decision issued in Oct 2013 denying audio and back but granting increase in another already service connected condition
4. Filed NOD in Nov 2013 and the VA accepted said form even sending me a letter acknowledging receipt of the NOD
5. Waited 2.5 years during which time I submitted two additional IMO's about my back as well as one about my tinnitus
6. Mar 2016 VA advised Oct 2013 decision was actually "provisional" and must issue a final decision before I can file an appeal
***VA changed my case from an appeal to what I don't know since the 2011 claim is showing as closed in eBenefits and now the VA is reviewing my case before making the "final" decision***
7. Aug 2016 VA requests some sort of follow up opinion from same VA audiologist from 2013 exam
8. Today my claim changed to Pending decision approval

Of interest, since the Oct 2013 "provisional decision" no additional VA development indicating any intent to dispute/refute the IMO's submitted in support of my back condition.

Also, the VA exam for my back in 2013 was done by a VA physicians assistant.  All of the IMO's submitted in support of my claim were from Doctors.

My question is - why would the VA ask for a follow up opinion regarding audio but not my back?

Does this indicate the VA is not going to dispute the IMO's and will likely concede service connection for my back condition?

If not, how could the VA continue to deny my back condition considering the overwhelming evidence submitted to support service connection without doing anything to dispute the IMO's that have been submitted?

The only basis for the denial of my back is the opinion of the physicians assistant compared to that of now 4 actual Doctors.

FYI, I had a documented back injury in service and MRI confirms bulging disk with annular tear now with long history of treatment in between the two.

Thanks for your input in advance!

1 answer to this question

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use