VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can a Veteran be "kicked out" of the VA health care system?

Rate this question

dakdrs

Question

I'm new to posting and didn't know where to post this, so I started a New Topic.

Hello, just looking for input from anyone who had a similar experience or any advice.

I retired from the Navy in 2004. I don't use the VA for any healthcare but recently found out I'm enrolled and don't remember enrolling.

I had a C & P exam at the Wilmington NC VA clinic 2 months ago. While I was there I noticed the Optometry clinic so I went in said to the staff "I didn't know the VA had different frames to choose from, I thought it was just BC glasses" The staff said "No, there's choices and we do eye exams too"  I said "I'm not registered in the VA healthcare system, so I can't" The staff said "Are you sure you're not registered? What's your name and last 4" She looked and I'm in the system unbeknownst to me. So I made an appointment for August 25th.

I got a message to call the Wilmington NC VA clinic. Naturally thinking it was in reference to my upcoming appointment, I returned the call. When I called back, I identified myself and the man on the phone said "What's your last 4" I told him and he said "I need to schedule you for an appointment with a General Physician"  I said "Why" the man said "You have to see a General Physician annually or you'll be kicked out of the VA healthcare system"  I told him "I don't use the VA for any healthcare" and he said "I'll let them know" and he hung up.

Since I don't use the VA for healthcare I shouldn't be concerned right? My concern is that other Veterans are being threatened with being "kicked out".

I can't believe that a Vet can be kicked out of the VA healthcare system but I wouldn't be surprised that the VA would do that.

So before I call someone in charge at the Wilmington NC VA clinic seeking answers for the "kicked out" threat, I wanted some feedback if the VA can kick a Vet out of the healthcare system for not using VA healthcare.  I did a quick google search to find a policy but didn't find anything.

Thank you for any assistance or guidance.

I looked it up, and, according to VA's website, that employee lied to you.  However, there may be a grain of truth to it.  You see, the VA has limited resources, and VA care is voluntary.  You dont HAVE to use VA.  Many Vets do not, for multiple reasons.  So, if you dont use VA health care, the VA wont keep you "on the rolls", that is, enrolled in VA health care. 

VA has different "priority groups", depending on if you are a disabled Vet, percentage, income, etc.  Higher income vets with low priority groups have to pay copays on things like prescriptions.  The VA charged me for prescriptions, and deducted from my income tax for several years.  Then, when I was finally awarded my disabilities, I got refunded at least some of those co pays back.  

The VA does a "means test", usually once a year.  (100% Vets dont have to do one).  You tell VA your income, etc, and they determine if you have a copay.  

Its also possible if you dont use VA for years, and you move to another visn, especially if not sc, you may not meet eligiblity requirements for VA health care, as they could change.  

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/veterans.asp

Enrollment

VA operates an annual enrollment system that helps to manage the provision of health care. VA applies a variety of factors during the application verification process when determining a Veterans’ eligibility for enrollment, but once a Veteran is enrolled, that Veteran remains enrolled in the VA health care system and maintains access to certain VA health benefits.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually when your enrolled with the VA  your PCP will need to make an order for different speciality clinics  such as the Eye clinic.

I don't know how you were enrolled if you didn't enroll yourself or your spouse maybe ...but if they have you enrolled  don't mean you have to use them you can use outside healthcare if you so choose

As  for as kicking a veteran out of the VA Healthcare system No , but they can remove you from the property if you cause havc or roudy with the employees or other veterans..I've seen that happen.

I seen a young man arguing with an older veteran probably in his late 70's about  giving him 20.00 bucks  the older veteran kept telling  him 'im not giving you a damn penny, it seems this young guy was not a veteran but a druggie and maybe this older veteran was his kin-folk?  whatever I was setting there and the young guy started getting loud and yelling att his oldeer veteran  he said I will slap you  the older vet said  go ahead and try it   well this young guy about 22 23 or so maybe he  slap this older veteran across the face knocking him out of his chair his glasses went flying...the young guy started to run off I got up and chased him caught his back side and  brought him down to the floor I almost Hit hit him but I restrain him while the VA Police got there...it made me so damn mad that guy hitting that older vet.... now if this young guy was a veteran he probably did get kicked out.

I ran into a similar issue. Got a threatening email from my assigned IM physician, that if I didn't make an appointment she would have me "dis enrolled" from the VA system. I do receive meds and treatment from the Mental health side of things. But no type of meds or treatment from the medicine side. It for the lack of better terms pissed me off that a Doc would send such email. I am a retired ER RN, I went to the Patient Relations Staff and showed the Email. After a few phone calls found out the bottom line it comes down to funding. The more vets on the rolls the more money they get. They removed me off the clinics rolls. I receive all of my other care from private providers. As a side note I did my clinicals back in 1980s and the experienced so changed me I will never be a inpatient there....

For Optometry,  you are better off going into a drug store, lol. My VA optometry is pitiful in every respect  (and you make 6 trips with constant mistakes for an unusable pair of glasses you just give them back.)

I will see if I can get a Veteran's choice for optometry. since I have not used my VA optometry in several years. Thanks for reminding me what 'tards my VA Optometry is. I use bottom dollar (for superior) services and glasses, but the VA should really be paying for what they cannot provide in services and/or products: and mine will be at a reduced cost too.

Edited by armorer

I have been put on the local VA's "Bypass List", which means they can and will withhold medical treatment from me.  A Mental Heath Doctor put me on this list when I turned myself in to Mental Heath looking for some help.  I have spent 2 years building a paranoia of the VA, that "hit the wall" when I couldn't go into the VA dental room, where they were going to replace a cap.  All I could see was the ways they could kill me in there...is this normal?...that was sarcasm.   Right now, I am maintaining my one time a year requirement to see my Primary Care Doctor.  I am a 100% disabled 'Nam Vet who has heart disease due to exposure to Agent Orange.  And PTSD, and hearing loss, and on and on...  I'm tired.  Sometimes I want to just give up, but can't find anyone to accept my surrender.  got any suggestions?

Edited by speck4