VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psych Gives me too many depression meds, advice requested.[Warning: Long Story]

Rate this topic

Forgot VA Healthcare is still so outdated.. I left the VA healthcare system as soon as I was eligible for Medicare.

The history of cannabis goes back to ancient times.

Hashish was used by soldiers due to it's calming effect on anxiety prior to going into battle long ago back in ancient times.

I was told by my psychologist that PTSD and anxiety disorders are closely related.

These fearless, and much feared, soldiers became known as hashishans.

From which our modern day word for assassins is derived.

I've been told by vets that served in that hell they called Vietnam that quite a few service members toked weed to keep them calm from anxiety and battle fatigue, which is now called PTSD.

I will not use medical cannabis products until they become legal in my state.

The pills I'm taking now to cope have been proven to elevate my chances of acquiring early onset dementia.

I have to have them or I freak out.

It's 4am here now and my anxiety is so bad I can't go to bed.

Edited by 63Charlie

I have had similar experiences with my VA psych. I've been on everything it seems like for my depression and insomnia. All of the sleep medications would lose their effectiveness or I would have what I call a fake sleep where I would be knocked out but wake up feeling (and looking) like I didn't sleep at all or with grogginess similar to a hangover, or they would enhance my nightmares to full blown night terrors. Most of the SSRIs made me feel agitated and like my head was full and "heavy"...I don't know how else to describe it...like my forehead was sliding off my face and it took all my energy to keep it where it's supposed to be. Also, "zombified" was a common result. I guess being a zombie isn't as bad as full blown psychosis, but I'd like to be able to function, not just be sedated and go through the motions. All these drugs made me feel much worse than the illness itself. I feel like it's prescription roulette...and maybe it's my anxiety but am I wrong for thinking all of this messing with my brain wiring is no different than chemical lobotomy? I know medication has saved lives and helps folks but in my case, I feel worse off.

I guess I don't have any great advice either, but don't keep taking anything that's making you feel worse. Report your symptoms and side effects right away, but if you discontinue on your own, they'll note it in your records and it can look like non-compliance with treatment (I have a couple of those notes in my medical records, speaking from experience), so make sure you talk to your doc.

Edited by anxiousinMD

On August 21, 2016 at 0:58 PM, 63Charlie said:

Try some medical grade cannabis products.

Legal in California.

Great suggestion, I lived in Colorado right when they legalized. Ive used bud for anxiety for years, but haven't smoked for about a year. It may be time to go back.

On August 21, 2016 at 1:35 PM, john999 said:

Bad advice on the cannabis recommendation.   That is a good way to get any pain meds halted and any other psychoactive drugs.  You will be listed as drug abuser.  Feds don't go by state law.  Pot of any sort is still narcotic according to DEA.  You want to get in trouble with them.  Your VA doctor does not want trouble with DEA and would gladly turn you in as possessing and possibly sale of narcotics no doubt.  If you ever get caught with illegal (cannabis is illegal for feds) drugs in your system by VA they will label you a drug abuser and it will haunt you forever!  I used only prescribed opiates and VA tried to bill my insurance for treatment for drug abuse.

Christ

You area taking anti-psychotic meds.  Your doctor must think you have psychotic symptoms.  If I took all drugs the VA wanted me to take I, too, would be a zombie.   The first two drugs are anti-psychotic drugs and the last is for depression.  Next they will load you up with Lyrica,  Neurontin and a boatload of other things to sedate you.  What exactly are you being treated for by VA quack?

It's true that they will label you, I've had 'Cannibus use' on my VA 'problems list for years. Its now labeled as in remission since ive been clean a year. One Excuse for stopping my adderall is because of that. 

I see the VA quack for PTSD, depression, and anxiety.

Oh, also insomnia. 

Charlie, thats hella interesting about the evolution of the word assasins. Im going to have to look that up.

I think I should ask for adderall again, continue the quetiapine and ditch the rest. But I can only suggest as the doc is controlling what I take. What rubs me the wrong way most is how i talk about existing problems and get no response, just computer clicks - then its time to talk about upping the dose, as if the bad symptoms I just mentioned didn't exist. Appointment coming up in a week.