VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I need to resend MSR's with new claim?

Rate this question

JATO

Question

Im in the middle of the NOD process with an older claim, about to submit an FDC for a new disease not addressed before.  Do I need to resend my MSR's with the FDC. The VA already has everything from my old claim.  Ive been retired for over a year now so nothing has changed in my MSR's.

Thoughts?

Yes, yes, yes, and again...yes.  Not because you "need" to, they will tell you to your face that they have all the pertinent information on hand.  I know because I was told this, said I will send anyway, reaffirmed that I don't need to...sent copies of SMR and such, claim was denied anyway.  Examiner claimed on the C&P report that he DID NOT view my SMR.  And so then, neither did  the RO, who had the copied SMR entries filed as my evidence.

IF you don't send them, they will definitely not look at the electronic copy on hand to see what's what.  And if you do send them, they may or may not look at them anyway.  But then at least you will have covered all your bases.

23 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

Yes, yes, yes, and again...yes.  Not because you "need" to, they will tell you to your face that they have all the pertinent information on hand.  I know because I was told this, said I will send anyway, reaffirmed that I don't need to...sent copies of SMR and such, claim was denied anyway.  Examiner claimed on the C&P report that he DID NOT view my SMR.  And so then, neither did  the RO, who had the copied SMR entries filed as my evidence.

IF you don't send them, they will definitely not look at the electronic copy on hand to see what's what.  And if you do send them, they may or may not look at them anyway.  But then at least you will have covered all your bases.

Good point. Did you use ebenefits?  If so do you recommend it or should I mail it to them?

I do use ebenefits, but I also mail hard copies as well.  With the return receipt green card and certified.  Better to cover your butt.  I think you have 30 days to mail in your evidence if you do use ebenefits to file your claim. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I take hard copies and put them in the hand of people at VARO and get date stamped copies.  When you file a claim for an increase which means any claim after your initial rating the VA will work on this claim and never even look at your C-File.  Since I live close to the VARO I usually file things by hand.  They lose everything over and over and it does not get better.  If you trust them to do their jobs you  will be sadly mistaken.  If there is a way to screw up your claim they will do out of them being FUBAR.  They don't care what happens to you or your claim so get insurance that they get your evidence.

Ok hard copy it is.

I requested and received a copy of my full c-file after they denied my first claim (which is in appeal status now) and its over 630 pages long.  Which parts parts do I need to print and resend?  

Also, and I feel stupid for asking this, but what exactly constitutes MSR's?  I just want to make sure I have a clear understanding of the term.  Ive got tons of paperwork over the last 15 years and wasn't sure what all is relevant and needs to be sent to VA.

I think you mean SMRs, or STRs (your inservice medical records.)

For any claim filed ,the VA needs an inservice nexus.

That is usually found in a veteran's SMRs.

If you tell us why they denied (their actual reasons and bases can be scanned with the evidence list and attached here.) Cover your C file #, name, address prior to scanning it..we could help more.

Often VA will state they reviewed the SMRs and found the SMRs were "silent" for any nexus.

That is not always the case at all.Some are loud and clear.

I think they spend 5 minutes on reviewing SMRs and many of us here have spent days and weeks on them.