VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD due to terrorist activites

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

How is this even possible? How do you have a TBI due to a vehicle accident state side and issues with problem solving with PTSD due which they wrote was due to terrorist activities lumped together? It makes no sense I know I have to appeal but this process is an endless pit to obsessions of searching past cases until my head explodes. Can anyone help me with this one? These two should be rated separately right?

TBI is Brain Injury, PTSD is Brain Injury, even if they occured at different times and places. You can't Pyramid injuries or Ratings pertaining to the same organ. Which ever get's the Highest Rating, is your Rating.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

PTSD is not a brain injury in the sense of a TBI.  Your head is not caved in my PTSD while TBI your head may be caved in and brain organ injured. Why are we thinking a organic brain syndrome is the same as PTSD?   They are not!  Gastone you are wrong on this one.  Ask Berta or Asknod on this.  If I am wrong then I don't understand organic from non organic.  If you believe your leg is missing is not the same as really having a missing leg.  No one even knows exactly what PTSD is and why some get it and some don't.  Does it change the brain over time......maybe?  Is one brain more likely to suffer PTSD than another?  If you have a car crash and your head hits something inside the car and brain gets bruised and banged around that is pretty universal outcome for 99% of humans.  PTSD affects your whole nervous system and not just the brain.  I do not see it as a brain injury.  If the VA is saying PTSD and TBI are the same sorts of injuries they do not understand anything.  They may be saying this just to save money which is despicable and dishonest and corrupt (the usual for the VA).

15 hours ago, john999 said:

PTSD is not a brain injury in the sense of a TBI.  Your head is not caved in my PTSD while TBI your head may be caved in and brain organ injured. Why are we thinking a organic brain syndrome is the same as PTSD?   They are not!  Gastone you are wrong on this one.  Ask Berta or Asknod on this.  If I am wrong then I don't understand organic from non organic.  If you believe your leg is missing is not the same as really having a missing leg.  No one even knows exactly what PTSD is and why some get it and some don't.  Does it change the brain over time......maybe?  Is one brain more likely to suffer PTSD than another?  If you have a car crash and your head hits something inside the car and brain gets bruised and banged around that is pretty universal outcome for 99% of humans.  PTSD affects your whole nervous system and not just the brain.  I do not see it as a brain injury.  If the VA is saying PTSD and TBI are the same sorts of injuries they do not understand anything.  They may be saying this just to save money which is despicable and dishonest and corrupt (the usual for the VA).

That's what I am trying to navigate around the only thing I have left to do is get a neurologist to give a second look at my situation and explain to me how they can even say it's the same and guarantee he or she won't and I will get their opinion in writing and start the appeal process again.

Not the 1st time and probably won't be the last, I stand corrected regarding TBI & PTSD SCs, with regards to Pyramiding. Up until about 2008, it appears that the VA also viewed the (2) Ratings as a combined Brain issue, so as not to have a Pyramiding problem.

I don't know if the VA went back and automatically Reassessed pre - 2008 TBI + PTSD Awards. Post 08 Rule change Decisions should use the separate TBI & PTSD SC Rating, when computing the Overall Combined SC %.

I saw a mention in a post this am, indicating both Berta & AskNod have covered the TBI/PTSD Combined Rating issue previously, it would be wise to give their posts a read.

Semper Fi