VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic when both spouses are DAVs

carterdap

Question

I'm trying to find out if my spouse or I would be eligible for spousal benefits if either of us passed.  We are both 100% permanent and totally disabled vets.  We're planning for our future, which includes purchasing a new home.  We don't want to purchase something that either of us would not be able to maintain in case of death of either of us.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2 answers to this question

This link here contains the DIC regulations and some other good info.

On a beautiful Fall day 22 years ago my husband started telling me to make sure I continued his claims if he died. He was worried about DIC. He had been recovering from a stroke and seemed to be doing better but DIC was the last thing on my mind. He was only 47 years old.Rated at 30% SC for PTSD at that time.

A few hours after that he collapsed in our barn and died as I gave him CPR.

I commend you both for being proactive now in your lifetimes, to consider what DIC means and what evidence the VA requires.

My initial DIC award was under Section 1151- death by VA (malpractice), one of the claims he had made that was under 1151,  that he wanted me to continue if he died.

The other claim he had was for a higher PTSD rating. He had SSDI solely for PTSD.About 3 years after he died VA awarded 100% P & T SC for PTSD.Twenty years after he died they properly rated the 1151 stroke at 100% P & T and also awarded him posthumous retro SMC.

I think the link above mentions the Death File radio  shows I did here. I hope I mentioned DNRs as well, and also Health Care Proxys.

Edited by Berta