VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dorothea evans

Rate this question

Dorothea evans

Question

Hi my hubby is a Vietnam vet Air Force.  He did TDY from the Phillipines for 65 days in Danang.  He was getting some disability but now they are cutting him off next week.  Can't seem to,prove boots on the ground.  All paperwork we got didn't clearly state it.  Just stated units he was in.  We have again ordered more stuff, payroll and orders but don't expect anything to show up.   No smoking gun.  We have photos and buddy letters.  What do you suggest?  We are about to give up hope.  They initially gave it to him based on DD214 saying South East Asia and medals listed for Vietnam but they will not accept that now.  

Edited by Dorothea evans
Spelling error

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

OK, this is out of my league here, but what little I know, here goes,

"cutting him off next week". You are supposed to get 60 days to appeal.  Did you file an appeal to he reduction?  That will give you more time.

I see he is 90%.  Is it all based on the 65 days or does he have other disabilities from different time periods?

What is the disability they are going to reduce?

There should be flight manifests some where, but that is really out of my field.

More answers will help others help you,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Did your hubby get an official letter  ''Proposal to Reduce?'' if so what was there reason and basis for this Proposal?

Did they say  an error was made on the original decision? about boots on the ground and his time in Vietnam, if so you guys can request Records MSR's and 201 file from NAPRC in St Louis. if your starved for time  request an extension on your claim time limit.

What was he S.C for originally? & how long was your hubby S.C. Rated for?

Also

Your Hubby may need to go get an IMO/IME for strong evidence to his disability.

Usually you get a SOC (Statement of Case) and they give instructions and a time limit (60days) from the time you get the official preposal letter&  you can elect  a DRO Hearing  or Review.

We need some more information on this to help you better.

.......................Buck

Hi, I have several disability ratings all linked to previously approved vietnam service. New prostate cancer claim triggered VA wanting proof of boots on ground. Will no longer accept previously submitted evidence including buddy letters and photos. VA going to revoke all claims.   Need to find aircraft maintenance records where I signed off for work done. The so called 201 file, medical record, payroll record no help. Any idea how I might go about finding aircraft maintenance record for C-123 ranch hand aircraft? I have disposition and serial numbers for all ranch hand aircraft. I repaired ranch hand C-123s at both Clark and Danang. Also, where would one maybe find a record of Airforce TDY orders?

Thanks, John Evans. Airforce Sheet metal mechanic with 405 and 6200fms  at Clark PI 1965-1966 and TDY to DaNang April-june 1966. djevans2503@yahoo.com

• HadIt.com Elder

What is on your DD214?

A copy of the orders should be in your personnel file. If you went TDY as a group then there would be one order with all listed names so anyone who went along may have a copy.  Your unit archives are in DC. Get your dates together and write the JSRRC in DC to help find the unit records as there should be a log entry. First get you a good rep to interviene and stop the reduction.

I would contact a claims agent or attorney instead of using a natl service officer. 

The DD214 says South East Asia with Vietnam Medals listed.  This was good enough originally to get benefits but now they will not accept it they say.  I have a congressman requesting records for me and have been to my local service organization for help.  They advised that I get help from my congressman.  I will request the unit records.  thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree with J here  and also you could write your congressman from your district and request or see if one of his techs can send an email to NARPC in St Louis DD 1594  OR  for your 201 files  morning unit reports  because during and even after the Vietnam war.

The Da Nang, Bien Hoa and Phu Cat Air bases are still heavily contaminated with dioxin from the herbicides, and have been placed on a priority list for containment and clean-up by the Vietnamese government., I was at all three bases.

You were there TDY and there should be records of it, Actually I am fighting with Army Review Boards of correction of military Records at present, I have one record of my TDY Orders traveling to Bien Hoa I sent them  but they won't accept that...I need the dates on that record to prove I was there at that time.

I don't know what else to do other than Appeal  b/c they should be able to use that Record to correct my DD-214

Be sure and keep this in Appeals so your time limit don't run out.

jmo

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52