VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam In Process

Rate this question

ROMAD

Question

Well first post to the forums so here goes. I served on active duty in the AF for 11 years. during my service I developed Cluster Headaches. I received PCS orders to Korea and was sent to the Board and was medically seperated with severance pay and 10% disability. They pushed me out the door and I did not have a seperation physical because there was not enough time and they could not delay the seperation date. Ok so I am told to go to the VA for care and get a disability rating while on TRDL. 1 year later they officially seperated me. I received a 30% rating and had to wait for the amount of my severance to be recouped. Well during this time I have been in to see the docs and have been told there is no cure and they can continue to see me and try and treat the pain. The headaches happen every year several times a year. They have tried me on several medications over the past 10 years, and while on active duty as well. I live 35 miles from the VAMC and could not drive there everytime I got a headache. Not only because I can't drive during an attack but they can't do anything for me. So for six years I had no appts. with the VAMC. During this time I just used the oxygen and rolled around in pain. I am not able to get a statement from previous employers about firing me because of my disability. So now I am asking the VA for an increase in my disability payments and doing Voc rehab. When I spoke with the VA C&P doctor on the 8th it was a short appt and he asked me a few questions and rubbed my feet checked my reflexes and that was about it. But the one thing I did not do is have a complete timeline of when my headaches were and how long they lasted. They really put you off asking sort of matter of fact type questions and taking what you say during this chat as exact. well I received a copy of my C&P exam notes (from ROI request) and they state my condition appears to have not changed and draw conclusions that my dates don't fit what my medical record says. I did not take a copy of them with me to check the dates. My question is how do i fix this? The review is not complete yet but I believe it may be denied. By rating is based on code 8100 my condition is Cluster Headaches with Horner Syndrome. The VA rating guide does not have a code for cluster headaches they use Migraine which I feel is not correct anyway. So what does everyone think did i screw the pooch?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

ROMAD,

Welcome to hadit and thanks for your service.

I'm not at all familiar with any aspects of Horners Syndrome but am familiar with 8100 - Migraines. If you have kept a calander of your headaches I would try to get those put into the records somehow, also - what medications do you take for your SC conditions if any.

Others will chime in soon.

In case you don't have a URL to 38 CFR here it is,

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-.../38cfrv1_02.tpl

and these are the regs on DC 8100.

8100 Migraine:

With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged 50

attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.........

With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an 30

average once a month over last several months................

With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 10

months over last several months..............................

With less frequent attacks.................................... 0

Also, have you ever gotten a complete copy of your c-file ? If so you may want to go thru it just to make sure you haven't missed anything else you may be entitled to calim for SC.

Welcome !

carlie

Horners syndrome is actually an ocular problem:

"Common causes of post-ganglionic Horner's syndrome include trauma, CLUSTER MIGRAINE HEADACHE and neck or thyroid surgery.

The diagnosis and the localization of a Horner's syndrome is accomplished with pharmacological testing. Ten percent liquid cocaine (topically applied), works as an indirect acting sympathomimetic agent by inhibiting the re-uptake of norepinephrine at the nerve ending. A Horner's pupil will dilate poorly because of the absence of endogenous norepinephrine at the nerve ending. The test should be evaluated thirty minutes after the instillation of the drops to ensure accuracy. The cocaine test is used to confirm or deny the presence of a Horner's syndrome. However, a positive cocaine test does not localize the lesion. "

How does Horners affect your vision/eyes? If at all, Horners is secondary to cluster migraines and should be eligible for a separate rating as secondary to the migraines.

Ralph

Horners syndrome is actually an ocular problem:

"Common causes of post-ganglionic Horner's syndrome include trauma, CLUSTER MIGRAINE HEADACHE and neck or thyroid surgery.

The diagnosis and the localization of a Horner's syndrome is accomplished with pharmacological testing. Ten percent liquid cocaine (topically applied), works as an indirect acting sympathomimetic agent by inhibiting the re-uptake of norepinephrine at the nerve ending. A Horner's pupil will dilate poorly because of the absence of endogenous norepinephrine at the nerve ending. The test should be evaluated thirty minutes after the instillation of the drops to ensure accuracy. The cocaine test is used to confirm or deny the presence of a Horner's syndrome. However, a positive cocaine test does not localize the lesion. "

How does Horners affect your vision/eyes? If at all, Horners is secondary to cluster migraines and should be eligible for a separate rating as secondary to the migraines.

Ralph

Well thanks for the info on Horners just curious if you know the code that applies to Horners. if it is a compensable disability it sounds like a CUE because it has been in my records as cluster with Horners and not seperate so as to have to pay a compensation. Have not had an eye exam to check my vision. I do on occasion see spots but not sure if it is related. I guess I will be going to the doctor more over the next few months.

ROMAD,

Welcome to hadit and thanks for your service.

I'm not at all familiar with any aspects of Horners Syndrome but am familiar with 8100 - Migraines. If you have kept a calander of your headaches I would try to get those put into the records somehow, also - what medications do you take for your SC conditions if any.

Others will chime in soon.

In case you don't have a URL to 38 CFR here it is,

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-.../38cfrv1_02.tpl

and these are the regs on DC 8100.

8100 Migraine:

With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged 50

attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.........

With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an 30

average once a month over last several months................

With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 10

months over last several months..............................

With less frequent attacks.................................... 0

Also, have you ever gotten a complete copy of your c-file ? If so you may want to go thru it just to make sure you haven't missed anything else you may be entitled to calim for SC.

Welcome !

carlie

Well thank you for responding. I currently take imitrex nasal which is non-formulary but does work. i have also use oxygen therapy with some success. But the Imitrex Nasal spray definately work. I just requested my file be copied so I would have one, but it is currently out of the regional office while they are processing my C&P exam. Getting things in the permanent record can be tough, and my calendar is not complete I am trying to check dates now so I have a better picture of when they occured. But i won't give up, but they do make it hard.

Well thanks for the info on Horners just curious if you know the code that applies to Horners. if it is a compensable disability it sounds like a CUE because it has been in my records as cluster with Horners and not seperate so as to have to pay a compensation. Have not had an eye exam to check my vision. I do on occasion see spots but not sure if it is related. I guess I will be going to the doctor more over the next few months.

Romad, I talked with an eye MD friend and here's what he said: If you have Horner's, you may show a drooping upper eyelid, dry facial skin and have excessive tearing, etc. Pupils may not adjust as fast as normal. From what he said (and I'm no MD!!) rating could fall under 6009 or 6019, or both. Looks like a 10%er if not rated as part of the cluster migraines.

Apparently this is nerve damage in a nerve bundle going from the hypothalamus (central brain) down to the chest, then up by the carotid artery into the inner ear, then to the eye. Whew! He said there are 3 areas in which the damage could occur and the docs can usually test to see where the actual damage is.

Hope this helps - not sure I understand all of it,

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome ROMAD.

Here is another suggestion.

Does the Horners Syndrome or the Cluster Headaches/Migraines keep you from being employed?

Do these problems keep you from doing what you are trained to do?

Do these problems keep you from driving, from being present at your jobsite, etc., etc.?

If so, and you can find a decent M.D. that you can talk to, that you can carry on a personal conversation with, then you need for him/her to make you a diagnosis indicating the above problem(s).

Then you need to get yourself down to your local Social Security office and apply for SSDI and then you need to take this same M.D's. opinion to your VARO, carry it in by hand and give it to them and get a "receipt" from them.

just sayin.......