VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nuclear Medicine!!!

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Just completed a Nuclear Stress Test Today at the VAMC.  My first one ever!

Guessing everything was ok  they let me go home/Actually I am glad its over I been worrying about this for a good two months now. eh!

PCP Suppose to call tomorrow with the results?

Anyway

Just wanted to say the test was not that bad especially when they enter the Radiation Meds in your IV   at first my feet felt a little warm and my heart started beating pretty fast   for like a Miniute ...after that all I did was just breath in and out  slow and easy until the test was complete (about 30 Min)...they did a plank type test on me.....that's when you get it all done at one time and its over  usually they do half the test  then let you wait about an hour and they do the other part ,  your in the MRI  machine the whole Time on the plank test.

But my REASON for this post is  if you been having chest pains  or shortness of breath no matter what your weight is/age...> go get your old ticker checked out  this Test Is fairly easy..its better to know you might have ticker problems before its to late.   so you can get it fixed feel better and enjoy your life with your family 

........................Buck

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What time was your test complete? Your really not in the "ALL Clear" until the VMC Staff Radiologist, reviews your results and issues his findings, to your Cardiologist and/or PCP.

If you didn't get a call late in the day, asking you to come back, in order to see your Dr's or visit the ER, your probably OK. You could still have some significant, just not Life threatening problems.

Aren't I the cheery one.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone you sure are the ''cherry one'' 

They did the test at 8:00am today, I went home around 12 noon. about 3:30pm  My VA PCP Called with the results of the test she got from the person that reads these test, she said they seen a couple of Abnormality's  and she was going to put me on some medications and refer me over to the cardiologist clinic..

so I don't know what  all is wrong?...maybe a good thing they found this.

My reason for having the stress test in the first place   I mention to my pcp I get out of breath easy out just mowing the yard or just doing any  easy type of phyiscal  labor & no energy , I helped my son move into a house here a month or so ago and I notice I got shortness of breath just carrying furniture ect,,ect,, and had to stop & take little break...I never had to do this before  ?  my chest don't hurt or have that crushing feeling? my arms don't hurt, other than arthritics in my fingers  and knees but I've had that for years.

so no telling what it is?   CAD =clogged  up arteries or clogged up heart vales or Something?

I dread all these heart test forthcoming...  possible ? Heart Stents, Heart Vales,Heart Catheter , Heart   By-pass surgery eh!

Just got cleared for a Cancer Scare last week after biospy  it was Benign  so thats not going to get me. hope this don't get me either? who knows ? when its your time to go its your time to go  eh!

Edited by Buck52

Im not sure of your age, Buck, but Im 64, and certainly could not even THINK of a full 8 hour day carrying furniture.  

I would say getting out of breath carrying furniture at our age is pretty normal.  I do have a couple tests I use, as you certainly can not rely on VA.  

I have an app on my phone "S health".  It records my steps and physical activity, and, even compares my actitivity level with people my age.  I try to get 5300 steps per day which is "about" 55 minutes of activity.  55 minutes per day of activity is the "goal" of my self help app.  

I can also tell my heart fitness level with stairs.  By the way, if you have stairs, stairs are the opposite of smoking...the more stairs you do, the longer you live, the exact opposite of smoking.  

I can climb up and down 3 flights of steps, pretty much without getting winded so much I stop.  

Another gauge is, can you walk 3 miles per hour?  I read where if you can not walk about 3 miles per hour, you have a 50/50 chance of being dead in 5 years, unless you can bring your fitness level up so that you can walk 3 miles per hour.  

My app keeps track, and yes, I can walk 3 miles per hour.  

If you are trying to improve your fitness/health, start slowly.  Like I said, I like the s health as it records every step I take as long as I have the phone with me.  I try to carry the phone all the time, and charge it at night.  It sends me a message if I have met the goal of 55 minutes (about 5300 steps) per day.  I found if I have 3 or 4 thousand steps, I try to reach the goal and walk more.  10,000 steps in a day is also a secondary goal.  I reach that probably half the time.  I think my "average" steps was about 6000 steps per day last week.    Today, so far, I walked 6698 steps, which is 3.98 miles and I burned 555 calories, and was active 71 minutes.  By the way, 3.98 miles in 71 minutes is almost exactly 3 miles per hour, just a bit over it.  

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet, I'm 64 also be 65 next July  

I am over weight and consider morbid...at 6'2 and 260 lbs   & I  Don't Smoke/Drink

Yes I use to walk 3 mph every morning   did 3 miles...Monday -Friday at a park where the police guys  walk/jog at

BUT  BUT  BUT but but but

I stopped exercising and gained weight laying /sitting on my butt all day, my oldest son and his three boys (MY GRANDSONS) has been living with us now almost a year, so they do most of the chores around the house that I use to do....I need to get off this lap-top  but I'm addicted to Hadit   LOL 

Nah just helping veteran the best I can win their claims. &  you and hadit  members helps  tremendously .

I helped my youngest Son move the furniture   Heavy couch, Refrig, Piano., washer/.dryer bedroom suites  ect,,ect,,but the heavy boxes got to me.

Do you think were about ready to be put out to pasture? :huh:

I was chatting  with Alex   about our heart problems , he has a all clear on the pipes (arteries ) but still don't know he had his stress test and catheter done  all ok but its something else wrong?

their still checking him out as far as I can til.

I go for more test at the cardiology clinic  and  getting meds to take. this is in my near future.

if it ain't one thing its another.

Yo Buck

Back in 06, I noticed shortness of breath while doing some strenuous labor in extreme cold. Been doing this type of work for over 30 yrs on a daily basis, 1st time I ever became short of breath. Had standard treadmill stress tests done on a yearly basis, always told my performance was that of a guy about 5 yrs younger and in good shape.

My non VA PCP ordered a Nuc Stress Test. About 3 or 4 hrs, 2x on treadmill and all the pics, no problems, no shortness of breath. I was done about 11am, went on my way. Worked all afternoon, doing the same type of labor, no shortness of breath. About 4pm, got a call from PCP office, Dr wanted to see me ASAP. I checked myself into the Hospital ER at 6pm, had Quad Bypass Surgery the following Monday.

All the Reg A$$ Treadmill Non-Nuclear Stress tests never showed the CAD that was developing. PCP Dr said we (WTF WE, I caught it) were lucky to catch it, I was a prime candidate for a massive (End of Life) Heart Attack.

All the Reg A$$ Stress tests were a waste of my time and did nothing but give me a false sense of well being. In reviewing my PCP Med File, the Dr always indicated no evidence of any CAD.

CAD doesn't happen overnight, very long process. I lucked out, I terminated my relationship with the former PCP, shortly after reviewing my file. It was all about the $$$$$, he should have ordered a Nuc Stress Test years before.

Semper Fi