VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this topic

I think they mismanage pain medications, just like they mismange money, employees, health care, and other stuff like bonuses.  It is out of control.  

There are MANY heroin addicts who began with prescription pain medicine, and, when it got cut off, they turned to heroine to manage pain.  People in my town tell me heroine is widely available, and cheap here.  

Like yourself, VA formerly prescribed Vicodin for me, and then cut it off.  I thank God I am not an addictive personality, but I sought natural alternatives to help with my pain.  This is what I do, and it seems to be working:

(This is for pain in my knees and feet):

1.  I have sought natural alternatives.  Some good ones:  Tumeric (its an antinflamatory, and is a spice.  I also take it in a pill form, widely available in most health foods stores.  My favorite brand is "Curamin" extra strength, by Terry Naturally because its bioavailable, but some other brands are just as good.  Natural Joint, is another good one by Greek Labs.  Its a combination of herbs to help with joint pain.  I also drink green tea (any brand), and lots of water. 

2.  Exercises or stretching for knees.  My son explained that knee pain is often from sitting long periods where muscles get weak.  So I have a couple exercises which strengthen my knees.

3. Drink lots of water.

4.  Bicycling and walking for exercise and to lose weight.  I have lost 16 pounds so far.  

• 2 weeks later...

They haven't ever given me anything but Lyrica, and that was a fight.  Tricare is the same or worse.  When the "rich kids" started OD'ing on Mommy's pills 10-15 years ago, they started this war.  As usual, the first casualties are those of us that can't afford to go to someone else.

• 2 months later...

Local news station WJHL has numerous recent articles regarding the pain meds for veterans. One is the standard actual guidelines by the American Pain Association (?) which totally goes against the stopping of meds for veterans. Clearly states meds are to be considered on a case by case basis and not everyone should be cut off!!!!! It is all worth reading. I can't link it, but if you google WJHL Johnson City TN, you will be amazed at the information!!! The VAMC is certainly not following the standard of care in the community. I think it is mostly by the investigative community watchdog reporter Nate Maribito who is amazing!

• 5 months later...

I take pain meds for spinal stenosis and recently my new 3rd world doctor decided to start messing with them.  I told him in strong laguage that if he did I would file a civil suit against him, he paid me no mind and so today that what I did.  We will be seeing him in the 5th District Court soon. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
6 hours ago, SamT said:

I take pain meds for spinal stenosis and recently my new 3rd world doctor decided to start messing with them.  I told him in strong laguage that if he did I would file a civil suit against him, he paid me no mind and so today that what I did.  We will be seeing him in the 5th District Court soon. 

Hey Sam,
I know your post was right in line with this old post from last year, but it might have been better to create a separate post for it.

You have the right to request a different doc, but there is no guarantee they will be any better. Consider requesting a referral to the pain clinic. Yeah, it's a hassle and they will try all sorts of other treatments, but it might be worth it. Do the therapy, stretching, and all the other things they recommend. Ask about a things like a TENS unit, heating pad, ice packs, therapy bands, cane/walker, or maybe an alpha-stim unit (if TENS didn't help). My VAMC also offers tai chi sessions which can help with the balance problems, but you can do those at home too. Chiropractic and/or acupuncture can help too, but those might be available via the choice program if they don't offer them in-house. A couple of times a year I go outside of the VA with my private insurance and get epidural pain block injections, but they are not a guarantee and have their own risks.