VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I have access to VA examiners' decision documents?

Rate this question

NMNavVet

Question

I received my VA disability claim decisions (one service-connected at 0% and the rest denied).  In review, of VA's "breakdown " of making their decision on my denied disabilities, I noticed two disabilities had the following remarks: "Service treatment records show that _______ manifested while in the service."   I mentioned these conditions based on my VA and private medical records, but was surprised, that it was mentioned in my service records.  I "combed" through my service treatment records but cannot find such entries.  One of my questions, where in my service records did they find these existing conditions?   I am going to appeal, but can I as a Veteran, have access to the VA's examiners decisions or can they reveal where these conditions are located in my service records? 

Don't know what VA hospital you visit or have your EVAL at, but in BHAM, AL I get mine from patient records three to four days after the exam. You can also down load them from your Health Vet website if you have a prime account. https://www.myhealth.va.gov/

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, NMNavVet said:

I received my VA disability claim decisions (one service-connected at 0% and the rest denied).  In review, of VA's "breakdown " of making their decision on my denied disabilities, I noticed two disabilities had the following remarks: "Service treatment records show that _______ manifested while in the service."   I mentioned these conditions based on my VA and private medical records, but was surprised, that it was mentioned in my service records.  I "combed" through my service treatment records but cannot find such entries.  One of my questions, where in my service records did they find these existing conditions?   I am going to appeal, but can I as a Veteran, have access to the VA's examiners decisions or can they reveal where these conditions are located in my service records? 

There could be a number of reasons for this.

If you had paper STRs, be sure to check the back of every page. Back when this was the norm, docs loved to just find an empty section of a page and use it. Additionally, the chicken scratch handwriting that most of us cannot read may have been deciphered by the C&P doctor.

Check the STRs for both the subjective (what you told the doc/nurse) and objective sections (what the doc determined).

Check your exit exam - sometimes it can appear there.

If the condition was diagnosed within 12 months after you left the service, they may consider that as manifesting while in service.

If the condition is a presumptive condition, that might cover it too.

If you have an account on myhealth.va.gov, check the 'blue button' feature and download everything they have. It might be in there.

It might be worth requesting to view or obtain a copy of your c-file.
--and/or--
Request a copy of your service treatment records from your VAMC release of information office

I hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, RickyDee said:

Don't know what VA hospital you visit or have your EVAL at, but in BHAM, AL I get mine from patient records three to four days after the exam. You can also down load them from your Health Vet website if you have a prime account. https://www.myhealth.va.gov/

Good advice. The Birmingham VAMC patient records (i.e. Release of Information) is in the basement. If you are requesting a small number of pages, they usually can print them out on the spot. If there are a lot of pages, they will mail them to you. You can also request copies on a CD, but that will be mailed also.

Thanks for the responses.  I may need to review my service records again.  In the final decision comments, it breaks down which medical records shows the conditions: (1) "service treatment records show that optical atrophy manifested while in the service,"  then goes on, "VAMC records show that you have an eye condition.  There was no evidence of a diagnosis of optical atrophy,"  and then it says, "the medical evidence received does not show that you have optical atrophy."  (2) "service treatment records show that hemorrhoids manifested while in service," then goes on, "VAMC records and medical evidence received does not show that you have hemorrhoids"        I need to check if these two conditions were diagnosed within the 12 months of leaving service.   GOOD ADVICE.   otherwise, I have complete access to all of my VA medical records.  Thank you. 

Just now, NMNavVet said:

Thanks for the responses.  I may need to review my service records again.  In the final decision comments, it breaks down which medical records shows the conditions: (1) "service treatment records show that optical atrophy manifested while in the service,"  then goes on, "VAMC records show that you have an eye condition.  There was no evidence of a diagnosis of optical atrophy,"  and then it says, "the medical evidence received does not show that you have optical atrophy."  (2) "service treatment records show that hemorrhoids manifested while in service," then goes on, "VAMC records and medical evidence received does not show that you have hemorrhoids"        I need to check if these two conditions were diagnosed within the 12 months of leaving service.   GOOD ADVICE.   otherwise, I have complete access to all of my VA medical records.  Thank you. 

Wow... I hate to have to ask this, but does your VARO happen to be in a state where medical marijuana is legal? If so, it makes me wonder if the rater was on it when they decided your claim. They can't make up their mind what you do or do not have. "Now you have it, VAMC confirmed it, but now you don't have it"...

To get SC, you need:
1. Event/illness in service
2. Current diagnosis
3. Nexus connecting 1 and 2

Someone at the VARO is having trouble with #2...

Keep in mind that some illnesses do not require that it be happening at the very moment of the C&P exam. Asthma is a good example because as long as you have a history of treatment, that is good enough. However, not all conditions fall in to that category.

Any chance of you posting a redacted copy of your Award/Denial letter?

Your 12 month NOD Clock started running the date of your Award/Denial Letter. If you want to see what the Rater has in your C-File sooner, rather than later, a trip to your RO will be necessary. You can try to set up an appointment to Review you C-File over the phone, I think in-person is best, no wiggle room for RO Desk Personel.

VA regs and the 800# Info Rep, will tell you you don't need an appointment, just walk in, 1st come 1st served. Doesn't really work that way. Based on my recent experience at the Det Ro, you have to make an appointment, so the VA can schedule a VA Employee to accompany you while your viewing your C-File on a computer. The VA Employee will make copies of your selected pages, as you request them.

I think the personal C-File review this is your fastest option, filing a FOIA Request for your C-File could take 12 to 14 months for the CD/or Paper File to arrive.

Semper Fi