VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Overpayment Letter...WTF?

Rate this question

King156

Question

I need help on what to search for on this forum because I just got thrown a loop. 

I had recently completed my 3rd disability claim (I now have a total of 30% disability) & everything seemed fine. However, it's been "complete" on Ebenefits for 3 weeks & I was still awaiting a written notification & my backpay...however, I called the 1-800# twice & the reps kept claiming that everything should be fine.

However, today I just got a letter in the mail saying "the VA recently sent you a letter explaining that you were overpaid $11,000"...first off, I never received a letter saying anything about that (that's not too surprising though). Second, I have no idea of where to even start with this.

My questions:
     1) What do I search for in the forums? I don't even know which words to use for the search engine.

2) How long does this usually take to get resolved.

3) Can I still move forward with my next disability claim while I am working this out?

Update: I just talked to the VA Debt Center & the lady told me that they can supply a copy of the letter that was supposedly sent to me on Sept. 6...the lady said the letter is several pages thick, but she tried to search for a specific reason & couldn't find any.

Edited by King156

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 minutes ago, Navy4life said:

I have no idea what the letter is regarding and what it says.  Until then, I can't give you an answer.  I was simply making sure the other poster that stated what he stated understood that if the VA erred on a disability rating and the Veteran was getting over paid for it, the Veteran is not obligated to pay it back.

Oh, okay.

Either way, the VSO should be able to view the letter on Monday.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, King156 said:

Did I write something that sounded harsh? If so, I didn't mean for anything to come across that way. I was just verifying the info seeing if you could figure out what it might be.

If the debt letter was VA's error, the Vet would not pay it back. I only laid out the causes for debt letters more than anything for memory jog reasons - people are human, people make mistakes, and things can get missed. People have gotten debt letters and had no idea why, until they talk to Debt Management and are told that they were doing something wrong for some length of time that they had no idea was wrong. 

If I misread you, my fault as well. New guy, don't really know the culture here. 

-CHD505

Just an update:

I went to the DAV this morning & they looked up my file electronically. However, they could NOT find anything in my file relating to the alleged debt.

However, they confirmed that the VA has already garnished my wages before they even sent out the letter, lol.

They gave me some contact information (which I already knew about from reading posts on here) to resolve this. I'll keep an update on here for anyone that might possibly be going through this in the future.