VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea question about CPAP prescription

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

I will have been on a CPAP come a year Dec. 1st.  As I understand I have to turn my CPAP into my local VAMC, which I assume is to show the actual usage in order to get prescribed for another year of usage. My question is what is VA looking for inside the CPAP besides obviously the conisitent usage, and what actual data is there for them to see and evaluate?  I read somewhere that they can see if your apneas have increased or decreased......is this true?  Has anyone ever actually gone from moderate or severe OSA to no apneas ? If this is true..........I do not understand how it can go lower in apneas when other conditions are still involved like allergies, sinus, deviated septum, etc.?  Just curious what is involved and what is the data  extracted from CPAP.  I do have a claim in for SA as a NOD.  Thanks for any help on this subject.

Edited by Wayne TX

My 2 cents, been on BiPap since late 08, covered by Private Ins. Had to get the SD Card downloaded to verify use to Ins Co and Medical Data report for SA Neurologist's update. Awithed to VA for Bipap & 02 Concentrator mid 10, had to have my current Bipap Examined by SA PA Dept Honcho every 2 or 3 mos for about 6 mos.

My non VA SA Dr requests that I get an SD Card Download just before I see him for the yrly exam. the SD card print out provides quite a bit about your sleep patterns as well as time used. Leakage problems are indicated also. Haven't had the VA request a SA special appointment in about 3 years. VA contract supplyer of 02 concentrator comes out about twice a year to inspect Concentrator and replace 02 lines, no big deal. Hr usage is also noted on his contact form.

I get all my SA supply's by requesting them with a MHV Secure Msg. When I'm traveling, just MHV Secure Msg the VMC 02 Dept, 02 Concentrator is waiting at the Hotel when I arrive.

Once DX'd with SA, requiring Cpap or Bipap, if SC'd it doesn't matter if you use the machine or not, you'll still be 50% for Comp. You'll just DIE earlier, saving the VA big bucks.

Semper Fi

thanks toddt........you nailed down what I was really asking about.......I figured as much but just curious.  I do feel better being on CPAP and have not missed a night, but there were nights in the beginning where it really bugged me and was not getting my normal sleep time but I have got use to now and doesn't bother me.  I do have one more question....do they actually give you a printout or put into Clinic progress notes how many hours of sleep per night was recorded so the Veteran also knows?  Oops...just scrolled up and looks like Buck already answered that for me earlier.

Edited by Wayne TX

25 minutes ago, Wayne TX said:

I do have one more question....do they actually give you a printout or put into Clinic progress notes how many hours of sleep per night was recorded so the Veteran also knows?  

Hi Wayne - We probably go to the same VAMC!  I've been to the Dallas VAMC sleep clinic twice and all they do is check how many nights you've used your CPAP (I think she just plugged a wire into the machine and didn't even use an SD-Card).  She asked a couple of questions about how I'm sleeping and do I feel drowsy while driving, after eating, ect., then asked if I had any questions, or if I needed any thing else. 

I told her that I needed a new face mask since mine was a year old.  She put the order in and I just went downstairs and picked up a new face mask and hose.

I wouldn't worry about "losing" your rating... the important thing is to keep using your CPAP! 

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

They hook thatwire up to there computer  they did mine anyway  the new C-pap of 2016 have two SD Cards in them that record all the same data, They never gave me back a print out  the Sleep Therapist just mention to me about my usage and hours spent with it on and how my apneas was  and said I was moderate...although I am not S.C for S.A.  wish I was but its hard to get that if you never had any sleep disturbance on record while in military  I thought about trying to get it secondary caused by my chronic SC PTSD meds but the VA Dr's won't nexus that for me.

Now if you need something from the VAMC here in Dallas for your C-Pap  you go UPSTAIRS SECOND FLOOR TO PROSTHESIS.

That's where I got my new mask and mask liners   thinking about trying the nose pillow inlets  see if I like that better ??

&

get that  ugly mask off my face  full mouth & nose mask is what I been using.

At the Det VMC, you need to have an order put into Prosthetic s, before you can pickup supply's. I prefer to order everything via MHV Secure Message.

Any Phone or SD Card Download interpretations, orders for equipment or simply Secure Msg's, will usually appear on your MHV Blue Button Site under Clinician Notes.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Gastone

Seems like when we use Myhealthyvet ''Secure Message'' They usually help us better and send us what we ask for.

saves a trip to the VMC.