VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Melodicmom

Rate this question

fourpaws2@sbcglobal.net

Question

Hello everyone, I filed a claim back on November 30th 2015 for Tinnitus, Hearing loss, Vertigo, facial fracture, TMJ and migraine. A month ago, I received a rating of 80 percent and had 4 contentions deferred. Today I received an additional 10 percent for Migraines, rated at (50%) which brought me up to 90 percent. I was denied service connection for hearing, tinnitus and Vertigo. What I did not expect is they inferred a claim of Traumatic Brain injury, (From a motor vehicle accident and domestic violence) for me and awarded me 40 percent for that and 30 percent for a etopic emergency surgery I had forgotten about and 40 percent for TMJ.  In the award for TBI they included the vertigo symptoms. I guess that is a way for them to save money. In any event all that total 90 percent. My question for everyone is, how difficult will it be to try for 100%. If I appeal the non service connection for hearing and tinnitus what will I need to strengthen my claim? I was in communications for my MOS, exposed to noise everyday and I thought it would be an easy claim. Also I was contemplating fighting the vertigo denial. Can I do that if they included the symptoms for the TBI? 

Thank you for your time.

SGT US Army, 8 Years, Not a recruit. 

Anyone know how to change that title? 

Edited by fourpaws2@sbcglobal.net
trying to figure out how to change my title

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Flat out, its hard to go from 90 to 100 on the schedule.  In simple terms, you would need a 50% disability to get there.  However, you should see what your raw score is before rounding.

You, may be at an actual 85, which is rounded up to 90, or you could be at a 94 which is rounded down to 90.  Big difference.

At 85 raw score, you would need a 60% new disability to get 100, and at 94 raw score you would need a 20% new disability to get to 100.

So, list all your disabilities and the percentage each, without grouping any.  The VA regroups after each addition, as there could also be bilaterals, which add to your total.

Fun with math,

Hamslice

I am currently 80% VA with a raw score of 80.  I have a claim still being resolved and I will either stay the same or get 84 or 87.  So, if it goes my way, it will be 87 rounded up to 90.  Then, I will need a 70 to get to 100, which wont happen.  Schedule of course.

• Founder

here's a link to our calculator

VA Service Connected Disabilities Rating % Calculator

This is not your mother’s arithmetic and 50 + 50 does not equal 100. It’s also called fuzzy math by some, so plug in your percentages into the calculator and it will tell you what your total percentage is.

Well that is disheartening. Utilizing the calculator, I'm at 87.4.  I guess even if I appeal my hearing and tinnitus, it wont help.

One other question, How do I change my title? I am not a E-2 recruit. I was a SGT in the Army and spent 8 years in it.

Thanks again