VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Psychiatric Evaluation!

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I have a question on my Psychiatric Evaluation. The SS sent me to see a psychiatrist for a mental exam approx. 4 weeks ago. They sent a copy to my doctor.

At the end of his report under "FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT & MEDICAL SOURCE STATEMENT" he wrote:

"At this point he would be too anxious to work in any environment. He would not be able to attend. He would not be productive. He should have psychotherapy related to this and I suspect with time he will desensitize. However, this will be a long-term process".

Under the SS rules with the main criteria being whether or not a person can work at any job, wouldn't you think that the SS should give me disability, or am I trying to be too logical.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin
Fifty percent of SSDI benefits are taxable if annual adjusted gross income is $25,000-$34,000 for an individual, $32,000-$44,000 if married and filing jointly. Eighty five percent of SSDI benefits are taxable on annual income exceeding $34,000 for an individual, $44,000 if married and filing jointly.

pr

PR and John,

I am sure you guys are correct. I was told it was not taxable, but it could have been solely due to my particular income at the time. I may of just applied it across the board rather than specifically to me. Sorry, don't want to give incorrect information.

I made a call about this. The average SSDI payment is 1300.00 per month. That would fall very close to the no tax income, unless you had additional income from spouse other investments or government agencies.

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

John,

"I get a disability retirement pension from the federal government since I was a civil servant and all of it is taxable. Not to mention the fact that my federal pension is offset by my SSDI. Before deductions it amounts to about 2000 bucks a month from both my pension and SSDI. What a joke for 20 years of work. "

Can you explain how the federal disability works with ss? I know there's some formular to it, but I just can't seem to understand it.

thanks,

sbrewer

• HadIt.com Elder

Sbrewer

If you get a federal civil service disability retirement and SSDI your civil service retirement is offset by 60% of your SSDI. It ain't that great! You end up with very little money.

I read on the ssa web site that if you file jointly and make over 34,000 a year then ssd is taxable is this right my wife works and makes over 34,000 a year. I sighned up to have 10% taken out of my ssd check. for taxes. I dont know better safe than sorry.

• HadIt.com Elder

if it came down to paying taxes because the income was over 34,000 a year I would gladly pay the taxes think about the people trying to live on SSI 652 a month some of us have been blessed and some of us have been screwed my wife can't work because of me I am her job my job is to live until she turns 60, then I will have my ten years VA for her DIC and then she can still get her SS checks as a widow

now if I can just avoid pissing her off to the point she whacks me with the cast iron frying pan

• HadIt.com Elder

Cal you might want to consider filing seperately and letting her take the decudctions for the mortagage and or kids etc and you wouldn't probably owe and taxes on yours, ask a tax person