VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

HA Batteries Customs taxes

Rate this question

Frank1959

Question

I hope that this is the right forum.

I live in Germany, not retired,  and have just received my first set of hearing aids.  I have registered my hearing aids with the DALC and the FMP program. I received notice, via UPS that the package is being held up at customs, in Gemany, (Just ordered them yesterday!)

I called the local german customs and was informed of the following:

1.anything valued over Euro 22.00 will be charged an added value tax of 19%

a. this includes the postage!

I will be informing the DALC and FMP program about this.  The DALC said they would send a larger supply of batteries (in my case 3 time 60 batteries) to help me out.

(I guess the value is $48 plus postage, so I am guessing around $60 or around Euro 50.00  So my guess is that I will have to pay a customs tax of around Euro 10.00)

Does anyone have a different experience with this?

4 answers to this question

Wow, very German. Frank1959, the batteries that I get from Denver DALC are made in Germany! So Germany is going to tax you on a product that the VA buys from Germany and then sends to you in Germany. Does not sound right to me. The German Company is VARTA Microbatterties, Daimherte 1, 73479, Ellwangen, Germany. Please check and see if you can contact this company directly and see if they will assist you.

Vern2

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I lived in Germany for 10 years and am not surprised that they would do this. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this kind of red tape...

UPDATE!

I just received my hearing aid batteries and accessories. It was hung up at the German Customs. I found out the reason why.

DALC had listed the contents as hearing aids and ACCESSORIES. The german customs wanted to know what the “accessories” were. I informed them, over the phone, that they were wind guards and they then released them. The custom agent suggested that they should put a detailed description of each item in the package.

I did not have to pay any customs or taxes.

It took 72 hours!

Great job DALC!

I noticed this when I placed my order on-line. The order box had batteries and accessories- the accessories is for those who need prosthetic socks. DALC should have separate box for each item. I am going to send them an email telling of the problems this has caused.

Vern2