VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ICD -9 & SCT Codes?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anybody Know what these codes mean out beside the disability ? ICD-9 & SCT???

I think Jbasser brought this up in one of his hadit radio shows one time  the meaning of codes!

Like they have these codes with a # at the end of the Dx or Contention after the VA Doc examines you.,,,,its not Diagnostic code is it?? Rating codes are different! They can be found on progress notes in myhealthyvet

International Classification of Disease, 9th revision, Clinical Modification  =ICD-9

Thanks I appreciate it

.......................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe these types of codes don't have a meaning to us vets, I was just wondering why they put them on there.

we veterans need to know the meaning of diagnostic codes and the rating codes. eh! 

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank You Ms L

After reading the Link I am more confused, it has to do with the Doc's Mostly, I tried to put some of my codes using the  code/diagnostic  table  > and its  a mess 

OH well at least I know its for billing purposes & configuration to the symptoms of the patient.

ICD 9 and SCT are codes used in the insurance industry to identify a specific diagnosis.  The Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine — Clinical Terms (SNOMED-CT) was created by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) to represent medical terminology in electronic health records (EHRs) 

For many years providers have been doing a good job of summarizing their patients’ current and relevant medical conditions on a “problem list”.  Typically this list is located within the first page of a patient’s chart, ideally enabling the medical provider to quickly assess the current and past medical issues of the patient.  While the intent is clear, the methodology is not – many providers still using paper charts may use acronyms to express a clinical condition (e.g. MS or AA) or they may not add the date of the diagnosis and/or its resolution.  For those providers who utilize EMRs (electronic medical records) the problem may be more complex due to the lack of interoperability between different EMR systems. 

Enter Meaningful Use Stage 2 and SNOMED.  Stage 2 Meaningful Use criteria expands upon the Stage 1 requirements to further improve and utilize healthcare IT and EMRs to provide consistent, collaborative care among different provider groups for any given patient.  This means that these electronic systems need to talk to each other and more importantly they need to understand each other.  The only way for them to reach this understanding is to speak a common language.  Stage 2 of Meaningful Use has defined this language as SNOMED-CT – specifically for the problem list within a patient’s chart.

This is an acronym for Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine – Clinical Terminology. It is recognized throughout the US and internationally, and it is available at no cost through the National Library of Medicine.  Using SNOMED-CT enables providers and electronic medical records to communicate in a common language, thus increasing the quality of patient care across many different provider specialties. 

ICD-9 was and is used as a diagnosis and procedure coding system. Again specifically outlining the diagnosis and the process followed for a precedure performed. Its now an old system and is supposed to have been upgraded to ICD-10 this last year,